Help on how to remove sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to remove the sash windows in my lounge to get my sofa through. I have had a quick look on the internet. does anyone know of a good guide with pictures. Is this a difficult job?

Sponsored Links
Don't know of a picture guide but I worked on enough of the hateful things to give you an idea.
First step is to pri off the staff beads , on the inside normally a rounded edge facing into the room. It's more than likey they are just pinned on and shouldn't take too much to get off . You will probaly only need to remove the two side pieces.
You can now get at the lower sash, it will swing into the room. Pulling the cord as far out of the box as possible running on the roller wheelput a small screw or nail through the cord into the box. This will prevent to cord retracting into the box when you let go.Do this on both sides.
The bottom sash can now be released from the cords, often just pinned in the grooves of the sash.
To get to the top sash pri out the parting bead. That's the strip of timber that seperates the two sashes. Repeat the process as above.
Once your sofa is in just repeat the process in reverse. I tend to fix the cords to the sash with screws as it's a more convient method I feel, just check for the lenght you can use too long nails or screws run the risk of breaking the glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back