Help on noisy worcester 24i needed !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just moved into a new property last week, and seem to have inherited a few problems! Firstly this is the first home I have had with a combi boiler. Day 1 I noticed that the bathroom radiator was only partially heated, so I bleed out the radiator in the bathroom and the one on the landing, there seemed to be a lot of air in the system. Then noticed that the pressure gauge was reading a little low so i filled the system back up to 1.5bar. After the system had been on a while I could hear this "whooshing noise" sounded similar to fast flowing water in a pipe which I could hear all over the house. I switched the central heating switch off and the noise remained, eventually I heard a click (sounded like relay) and the noise disappeared. Upon switching the heating back on the noise returned within a few minutes. The previous owners had the boiler temp set on maximum so I turned this to half way (as the radiators were hot enough to take skin off!) With this setting the noise did not come back as quickly the second day. But the noise does re-occur when the central heating has been on for a while. When using Hot water only, the noise never occurs. Since then I have vented the CH pump, and rechecked that there is no air in the radiators. The boiler was installed 2 years ago so fairly new. After trying to pinpoint where the noise was coming from sounds like from the back of the boiler (expansion vessel, relief valve) Doesn't seem to be any water coming from the relief valve outlet. Pressure on the gauge doesn't seem to rise over 1.8 bar while the CH is operating. Just wondered if lack of pressure on the expansion vessel would cause this ?

Sponsored Links
Check that the auto air vent cap is a little loose?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, just looked in the installation manual seems that the Auto Air Vent cartridge is located behind the pump, seems a little tricky to get at, especially this time of night will look into this tomorrow. Can I just confirm that the cap needs to be a little loose?

Just noticed this evening that by fully opening the thermostatic radiator valves the noise seems to disappear! Had a few hours of noise free heating tonight, wondered if this additional info would shed more light?

Sponsored Links
System comprises of 4 rads upstairs (all with thermostatic valves) and 5 rads downstairs (3 have thermostatic valves the other 2 located in the living area dont, assuming this is because the main system thermostat is located on the wall here?

Yes the AAV needs to be loose to vent air.
Water noise from the boiler unlikely to be widely heard so perhaps it's the rad valve noise which is bothering you. Some TRV's are noisier than others. Probably your lockshield valves (the ones the other end) are all wide open. Close them then open just one turn (ie all the same to begin with), and see how it goes, noise-wise

If furthest rads are slower to heat, open a bit more - you're into "balancing" then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back