Help on radiator removal and replacement.. also pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Great forum, and can usually easily find what I want to know! :)

However, I'm unsure on this one so here goes...

I've just removed a bathroom radiator succesfully (well, wet but succesful :rolleyes: )

Now..... I will be replacing the radiator in the futre with a heated towel rail and I am only currently left with the pipes. The pipes will need to be shortened to accomodate the towel rail eventually.

But... the pipes run across the front of the skirting board which I need to remove as I am also laying laminate flooring and need to get some levelling down.

So, the question is....

How do I go about cutting then capping the pipes so that
a) I can remove the skirting without bending /breaking the pipes and
b) I can extend / use them later for the heated towel rail.

Thanks in advance, appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Summers here/coming. Drain the system, remove the rad, cut the olives off the pipes, get the rest of the work done before winter then fit towel rail and refill system.

Personally, I'd keep the radiator and fit a small electric towel rail, so you can have dry towels through the summer without having to run the heating system.

I have heard of bathroom radiators being used as a safety bypass. Is it possible to bypass the primary (assuming open-vented system) through the towel rail, independent of the central heating.

I am not a plumber. This is a suggestion/query.

They are sometimes connected to the HW circuit, and are used as a heat leak on systems which heat the water by vapourising oil burners or solid fuel boilers. These have a gravity HW system and the heat leak must be gravity as well.

Sponsored Links
Am I reading this right, is [slic] mistakenly going to cut and cap the flow and return loops?

sorry [slip] just noticed my spelling mistake :oops: . Not intentional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back