Help painting ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all a big hello to everyone here.

A recent weekend project to repaper the stairway of our 1920's ex council house is becoming somewhat more of a job than anticipated. Having steamed of the old paper (a total of 5 layers), the ceiling paint lifted away in an almost unbroken sheet across the entire ceiling. The surface below... well i am assuming it was once paint, but was now a fine powder akin to talc.

Obviously, nothing was going to stick to this, so after a day of wetting down the powder and scrapping it off i am back to what appears to be bare plaster - though it needs a final wipe down as a quick wipe still shows a very fine layer of dust on surface.

i have a can of dulux crack free ceiling paint ready to apply. However before painting would it be best to seal the bare plaster. I am told a dilute PVA is a big no-no, would a 50/50 mix of the ceiling paint and water be suitable to seal/prime the surface before applying the final coat(s)? or is there a product anyone can recomend that would do the job? it is not a large area all in all, but its location and working from a scaffold board between two ladders to reach means i am keen to only have to do this the once.

Sponsored Links
What you have found is distemper or whitewash used before modern emulsions.
It is basically powdered chalk bound up with size (a glue made from animal products I believe) the size breaks down over time and you are left with a layer of chalk.
Warm water and elbow grease is the start, then to be safe treat with a stabilizer like this,

http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/product/stabilising-solution/

to bind in any remaining chalk before painting with emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back