Help painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had my hall, stairs, landing plaster skimmed and now dry would like to paint with Duluxe diamond matt. The paint shop said I should thin the first coat to 1 part water 5 parts paint. The data sheet says no thinner than 1 part water 10 parts paint. Please any help with this would really be good, what do you guys normally do with new plaster.
Cheers,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi Rob

given the cost of the diamond matt I would recommend spending another £10-20 on a tub of trade white matt paint and diluting that.

Many people dilute that very thinly to use as a mist or search coat. They are then able to see any areas that need sanding back. The fact that it so thin means it will not clog the sandpaper or leave a ridge

If you are sure that the plastering is perfect then dulute by 10% to seal the wall and obliterate the colour of the plaster. Follow the data sheet rather than the store but it is not an exact science. I normally do it by eye and pretty much guess.

Then paint with full fat diamond matt- the first coat will drag a little when cutting in but the second coat will be fine

I thin nearly all my paints (until they don't drag but flow) - no brush marks or roller stipple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back