HELP. Pendant light appears to have reduced power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please could anyone help to answer why a pendant light after replacement ( hopefully and appears to be wired correctly) woul only be lighting bulbs at approx half wattage. They are hall lights with switches either end and 2 light pendants

Sponsored Links
you've got the blacks mixed up.. you've now got then in series..

post pictures of the wiring and we'll advise more..

Because they are wired incorrectly.

Can you post up some pictures of your connections in the new fittings please?

please take out one of the dim bulbs and see if the other one goes out

if so they have been incorrectly wired.

Sponsored Links
if you're struggling sending pictures perhaps you could carefully describe where each wire goes in each fitting...

we like pictures.

I wasn't sure which wire was the switched wire so I think it probably is the 2 blacks are in the wrong place.

it means the lights are wrongly wired in series. at the first light you need to identify the switch cable; and the cable that goes to second light.

so you have two twin and earth cables at the first light, and one twin and earth cable at the second light?

if so, could it be that at the first light both reds went to the live terminal; both blacks went to the neutral terminal; and the centre loop was empty?

i think so. is there a bunch of black neutrals in a connector block behind one of the hall light switches?

Thank you. I have done that and it is now working great! I have saved myself an electricians bill thanks to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back