Help please! How to make an alcove deeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, this is embarrassing, but here's the thing:

I bought shelves and sliding doors to build a built-in wardrobe in an alcove we have in the bedroom, and I've just noticed the alcove is about 10cm shallower than we thought (i.e. the shelves will stick out a bit, and the sliding door tracks will have to stick out from the alcove..

It's only too shallow on one side because the other side of the alcove is the room's corner. The question is: how can I make that other side deeper to close the gap between the sliding doors and the end of the alcove?

I have very little experience with DIY, but I really want to learn, so if you explain to me the basics of what I need to do I will be brave and do it! Should I buy a long panel of MDF and fix it to the wall? Can I fit it only from the end of the alcove somehow to not lose space from the inside of the wardrobe?

Any help would be deeply, deeply appreciated!!

Here's a diagram of the problem:

THANK YOU!

Sponsored Links
10cm quite big, to just pack out, you could make a shelf unit, either to face the same way the sliding door is or at 90 degrees to it, but as you say you arnt to experienced.

Thanks diyisfun, that is a good idea. I am not too experienced but I could hire someone to do that for me, I just need to know what to ask for :)

Any other suggestions?

Reduce the shelf depth then doors will fit, how wide is the alcove, how many doors are you fitting.

Sponsored Links
Hi foxhole,

I'd like to avoid cutting the shelves because there are so many (six) and also drawers (four), especially the drawers would be quite annoying to cut, especially being MDF and with a hacksaw (which is all we have)...

The alcove is 1.89 metres wide and 49 cm deep. We are fitting three doors in, floor to ceiling.

Would it be an idea for me just to stick an oversized end panel to the wall and fit the doors on that?

Thanks very much. :mrgreen:

Hi foxhole,

I'd like to avoid cutting the shelves because there are so many (six) and also drawers (four), especially the drawers would be quite annoying to cut, especially being MDF and with a hacksaw (which is all we have)...

The alcove is 1.89 metres wide and 49 cm deep. We are fitting three doors in, floor to ceiling.

Would it be an idea for me just to stick an oversized end panel to the wall and fit the doors on that?

That could work

Hi foxhole,

Assume you are having 3 X 600mm doors in which case you will need a frame as the doors will not span 1.89m

Assume you are having 3 X 600mm doors in which case you will need a frame as the doors will not span 1.89m

The doors were made to measure for the opening, so they will span 1.89m with a 5cm overlap.. But it would still be recommended to frame it, right? Maybe not floor and ceiling, but the sides at least!

The doors need to close to a frame [or infront of or behind depending on layout] in your case I would have the door butt up to the frame [needs to be plumb] with bump protection on edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back