Help please - kitchen waste pipe. Which extra fittings required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We had an extension and the builder / plumber / patio installers have managed to leave out 40mm kitchen waste pipe too close to the wall and finishing above the drain. Therefore for the past 4 years I am confident that quite a lot of water / waste ends up missing the drain.

Can anybody please advise which parts I should purchase?

The final part is currently 43mm so I will need to start with a mininal length of 40mm pipe and then presumably a 40mm obtuse bend to push it away from the wall? I have had to clear out some kitchen / garden waste from the bottom of the drain and am concerned I won't have access to the bottom if I use solvent. However, push fit may result in it failing over time?
The drain also collects rainwater from our narrow patio so I assume I don't wish to fill it over completely though there are two other drains at either end of the channel.

Thanks and please let me know if I missed anything pertinent.

Attachments

• c843c4cc-0073-4a2e-92f3-3db1aa6f20a4.jpeg
    c843c4cc-0073-4a2e-92f3-3db1aa6f20a4.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 35
  • 2cd9990d-09d3-4e73-8aba-7560a7187653.jpeg
    2cd9990d-09d3-4e73-8aba-7560a7187653.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 3afdc64f-037d-448c-a807-37545cdac18d.jpeg
    3afdc64f-037d-448c-a807-37545cdac18d.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
Use a swept bend attachment, you may need to cut back to fit a new length of 40mm above it. Use solvent weld. Note that different manufacturers have slightly different sizes so you may need to measure carefully or just get one of each.

Solvent weld, 40mm waste. Should be standard sizing across all the manufacturers. If confident using Solvent weld, then cut the pipe immediately above the socket fitting currently at the bottom of the pipe. Clean off paint wire wire wool or sandpaper to get back to clean plastic.

I'd use a pair of spigot 45º bends to 'dogleg' the pipe out, then a piece of 40mm pipe of appropriate length to continue down so it discharges into the drain below the point where it can affect the house wall. Keep it tight to one side to maximise room.

Note: Push Fit systems are not compatible with solvent weld, you'd need to use a compression waste fitting to swap between the two.

I'd also think about buying a cheap Wet vac for cleaning out the drain.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
The current end of the chain is Polypipe WS26 43mm straight coupler (spotted the code on it).
I already have a Wet Vac from when we had a hot tub and have cleaned out the bottom a few times (hence why I was concerned about a fixed solution with solvent that could potentially stop me clearing it out (it was stinking a bit last summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back