Help please! Leaking radiators at connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By connectors I mean the ones you usually remove with an alan key, however mine only require a spanner to remove.

A few of my connectors have been leaking since I bought house. They were all heavily wrapped in PTFE so I removed all of them and wound a lot of PTFE around threads before refitting. Thing is I still get same problem, is there something else I can use to stop this? Any methods which are reliable?

I'm at my wits end at this stage as it's causing major delays with my house renovations!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's a bit of a knack to using PTFE.
First of all, forget o rings
I prefer the thinner 'non gas' type. Wrap it around the fitting in the 'wrong' direction so that when you go to tighten it, its not going to unravel. Also, I like to stretch it ever so slightly so that it kind of grips the thread.
PTFE is very very slippery so I don't mean a proper grip, just enough to keep it in place.
Also, overlap by 50% as you wind it on. Some guys add some boss white as well which helps lubrication. I'm not sure if this makes a lot of difference because I've never had the need to try it.
Latest trend around here is to use a silicone sealant which, although I hate, it might get you out of a pickle.
Hope this helps

niallhanlon said:
By connectors I mean the ones you usually remove with an alan key, however mine only require a spanner to remove.

A few of my connectors have been leaking since I bought house. They were all heavily wrapped in PTFE so I removed all of them and wound a lot of PTFE around threads before refitting. Thing is I still get same problem, is there something else I can use to stop this? Any methods which are reliable?

I'm at my wits end at this stage as it's causing major delays with my house renovations!

Thanks

If you mean the plugs and vents at the top of the rad then i can send you some new ones i think ? (somewhere in shed) for postage costs only if you mail me your address :D

Sponsored Links
Sometimes, i.e. when the tail is a loose fit in the rad, you need quite a lot of PTFE.

In these circumstances I also use LS-X as a belt-n-braces measure.

Hemp and Boss white ;).....and cut the chrome out of the threads with a hacksaw blade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back