Help, please. Woodstaining external door frames.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,
My patio door surround and back door surround was getting shabby. I had previously finished them with Hickson Decor Mahogany - but that was some time ago.

After replacing the old mastic and preparing for finish the surrounds were " variegated" ie some back to fresh timber some sound finsh and stuff in between.

I have just given a first coat of Ronseal 5 year woodstain and it is not covering the lighter parts very well.

Could I paint it all a brown shade to get an even base then start again with the mahogany stain? I don't want to strip it all to wood as I'm almost finished a new deck in this area. ( I know - I should have done this job first)

Help and suggestions welcome
Thank you
Jim

Sponsored Links
Before coating all of the frame, touch in the bare bits first. i.e dab over the bare bits with the stain and feather out to blend with old stain. Do this several times until your happy, then coat overall... Takes time but strip otherwise.. TBH stripping with nitromorse is quite quick on hardwood's (?). Much more pleasing finish... but there you go ...

Godd luck.. ;)

Thank you, jondecs. I'll do what you say. Spend some time trying to even things out before final coats.

Fortunately it's smallish areas. I'll post when it's done.

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back