woodstaining pre finished veneer door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just bought a pre finished door but could not get it in deep mahogany, so had to get it in a oak finish. I want to stain it though with deep mahogany to match my other doors, it is a venneer finish which is smooth. How do i go about staining it, just sand it back to give a key and 2 x coats of ronseal woodstain?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
I do a lot of wood dyeing to get new wood to match old, it is always best to dye the wood first then use clear varnish/ "stain".
This way the shade does not vary with thickness of coats and runs don't show up (Iknow we should not be getting runs!!!)
I mix 2 parts dye to 1 part varnish (solvent based) then thin down to the right shade with white spirit, the varnish is there to "fix" the dye otherwise when you apply the first coat of clear varnish, the dye leaks out and you have a coloured varnish. apply the dye mix liberally then use a cloth to wipe off any excess at the end. allow this to dry o/n before rubbing down and applying the first coat of varnish.
Tip always us a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to clean after rubbing down, this will remove and particles in the nooks and crannies that a damp cloth would leave behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back