Help please!

Depending on the boiler the spark might not be able do the work legally.

Your original installer has had his nose put out of joint, but could argue that he can't commission his work because someone else has interfered with it.

The second guy is able to argue he didn't install the boiler.

I agree though that the first guy is being a bit of a wimp - although I can see his point of view.

Better organisation next time methinks.

What do you mean 're the Electrician not being able to do that legally? Who will do that then?
To be fair it was organised, I can't think how I could have been any clearer about what was what but for whatever reason the plumber didn't engage his brain about various things and seemed to think it was smart to pass the wiring bit over to the Electrician (when he wasn't there of course!)
Being naive I thought this was ok as it was wiring afterall.
My mistake was trusting a plumber would do what he was paid to do and not cut corners and also not to have delayed making payment until I had spoke to the Electrician and checked all other works in minute detail.
Thanks Lisa :)

Sponsored Links
Well if he has filled in the benchmark and registered the boiler then thats ok.

The second guy has only replaced the gas pipework so he only needed to test that work then purge and relight the boiler.

So as far as i can see, your golden

Well if he has filled in the benchmark and registered the boiler then thats ok.

The second guy has only replaced the gas pipework so he only needed to test that work then purge and relight the boiler.

So as far as i can see, your golden

I agree with Pablo.

The Electrician can't sign off the electrical installation if the Plumber wires the boiler. In the same token as the two that installed/altered the gas installation.
However, as Pablo has correctly stated above, that's not an issue as the paper work is in order.

In my view the Spark has bottled it when it comes to the CH controls wiring, which is far from unusual. Crazy I know, but most Sparks can't get their head round controls wiring. Most Sparks will swallow their ego & just ask the Plumber to explain the boiler wiring.

Lisa, please don't think you were wrong not having contracts in place, amazingly, loads of major house alteration are done without contracts. That's why there's a whole TV programming industry blossomed as a result. With small works contracts wee Dom would still be selling cars in his sheepskin jacket!!..... ;)

I hope you get sorted out.

I Work on multi million pound renovations, and have never signed a contract. Although I know that the builder has.

Anyway, depending on the boiler you may have to expose the combustion chamber in order to wrote the controls hence the Sparks can't do it unless they are Gas Safe.

The original installer is either a prize Bell end, or the job was such a ball ache he's not interested in coming back. Although it seems odd that the benchmark book is completed although the installation isn't.

Why the second one won't finish off is also a bit strange. Do you make tea with gone off milk or something?

Sponsored Links
I Work on multi million pound renovations, and have never signed a contract. Although I know that the builder has.

Anyway, depending on the boiler you may have to expose the combustion chamber in order to wrote the controls hence the Sparks can't do it unless they are Gas Safe.

The original installer is either a prize Bell end, or the job was such a ball ache he's not interested in coming back. Although it seems odd that the benchmark book is completed although the installation isn't.

Why the second one won't finish off is also a bit strange. Do you make tea with gone off milk or something?

You've never had a sub-contract in place with the Main Contractor Dan or do you not do subbie work??

Sorry, but I've never known a wiring block to be sited inside a combustion chamber and I like to think I've worked on alsorts.

Reading between the lines; I think the original Plumber's work was complete, leaving the Spark to wire it?

I haven't asked the second chap to fit the receiver or anything.

I've asked him generally about the attitude of the installer and he was of the view he's being an arse because he didn't like us questioning why things didn't go to plan?!

Think your first suggestion is correct! It's Nothing to do with milk, just a trader who runs for the hills once paid cos he got no sense of professionalism maybe?

To be fair the issues only arose afterwards and he just didn't want to come back full stop so can't see how he could deem the job a call ache. (unless of course he can't take knowing he did make mistakes and thus face us- easier to ignore the issue and just refuse to return for no good reason)

No Dicky.... Only ever signed NDA's or site specific agreements usually safety related. Never a contract of works or things that will tie me to a schedule open to influences outside my own and never would without significant built in protection for myself.

I tend to go in as either directly employed by the customer or the builder as direct labour, but invoiced as a company; not me personally.

Modern Wooshitter Botch, Intergas and the Vaillant all require accessing areas Sparks shouldn't be involved with.

No Dicky.... Only ever signed NDA's or site specific agreements usually safety related. Never a contract of works or things that will tie me to a schedule open to influences outside my own and never would without significant built in protection for myself.

I tend to go in as either directly employed by the customer or the builder as direct labour, but invoiced as a company; not me personally.

Modern Wooshitter Botch, Intergas and the Vaillant all require accessing areas Sparks shouldn't be involved with.

In most cases the boiler will & should only be Benchmarked/commissioned after the electrical connections are made. So there's never an issue with Sparks removing the boiler casing to wire it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back