help plugging leaks in garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am a newbee to the site and would appreciate any help in my limited knowledge of home DIY.

I have a problem with my garage roof, the previous owner bolted wooden beams to the roof which is causing the rain to seep through where the bolts are fixed.

I plan to plug up the gaps and also paint the outside of the roof with weatherproof sealent, I also want to add antivandal paint.

I have some idea what paints to get, but not sure about what to use to seal up the minute gaps in the roof bolts.

Can anyone give me some advice of the best way to do the whole job and ensure a dry garage.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the bolts, then you can refix with a EPDM washer or make your own from a EPDM sheet.

Otherwise use a good quality silicone or butyl roofing mastic - but ensue it is compatible with whatever roofing sealant you will use

If these is corrugated sheets, then the bolts should be on the upper ridge and not in the troughs - or they will always leak

Sponsored Links
Just to add what Woody said, get the Form Flash EPDM, you can get it by the metre, at 225mm wide and a small tin of primer.
Cut out some disc shapes to size required, prime area, stick patch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back