HELP !! Quoted Ideal Isar 35HE. Please help ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Just joined and thank god a site like this exists - excellent !!

I have a classic early 70's 2up 2down terraced house. Was always 3 gas fires(Lounge+ 1 each bedroom). I've decided to finally get that central heating installed AND build a shower in to Airing cupboard.

2 questions - First is I've been quoted 2 rads for lounge(under window and right hand wall [Stairs chop this house in half]) which seems overkill. In these mild winters I certainly enjoy next doors heating !

2nd Q - CORGI Bloke said you wanna have a high quality combi there's no point cutting corners. He's quoted an IDEAL Isar 35HE when I was expecting perhaps a Worcester Bosch. Read many reviews and all the problems on this site. DESPITE THESE REPORTS, WILL I BE GUARANTEED TROUBLE IN 6-12 MONTHS WITH THIS IDEAL ????? IT SCARES THE HELL OUTA ME. FURTHERMORE, IS 35KW REALLY NECCESSARY IN A HOUSE THIS SMALL ? OR, IS THAT TO ENSURE SHOWER IS ALWAYS USABLE ?

Rang him and he said we've installed 1000's with no trouble. Well that's fine for 1-2 years perhaps.

Also went onto Which and was very confused by the reviews. Ideal seem to be very inefficient. Any really confident advice on which combi would suit this little terraced with a shower (and bath o course) ?????

Thanks to anyone who can re-assure me.

Sponsored Links
Its the experience of most of those who install and repair boilers that there are more reliable boilers which would be a better choice.

The power of the boiler is set by the hot water performance. Any good installer would have tested the mains water flow to ensure you have at least 16 litres per minute dynamic flow rate.

Any good quality installer should be able to quote you for any well known make of boiler but some dont!

Its possible that your installer has a special deal to buy them cheaper and thats why he pushes them.

I do hope he is a genuine business and not someone working on the side ( and so not CORGI registered ) and stealing the boilers from a housing contract! It happens.

Tony

Obviously what I would like is the most reliable and cost-efficient combi for THIS application/ situation. I live in Basingstoke and the water pressure where I live is very high but VERY hard so he will install a water conditioner (magnetic inline).

There must be a combi that is both easy to install and easy to maintain with high reliability and efficiency that will be perfect for 5 radiators and a comfortable shower flowrate. Something solid with good build quality and is at the top of the longevity chart - Anyone know what this is ?

I have heard nothing but good words about German built boilers. Who makes the best combi here for this size ? And is 35KW really needed ?

Aware it's not easy to answer this without a site visit but the situation must be reasonably typical ? Thanks again. Sonofmo

I would personally recommend a 28kw vaillant but if you have very high water pressure i would suggest fitting a pressure reducing valve to protect it especially the plate heat ex

Sponsored Links
Hi Agile (and anyone else that can kindly offer their opinion)

We are talking about 1 habitant maybe 2 people 3 times a week. No kids, washing once a week. Dishwasher every 2 days (disgusting eh). I mean my metered water bill is about £7. WILL be dglazed in 2-3 months.

Almost token rad for the kitchen and a small Wicks type towel rail for the bathroom. 1 Bedroom radiator will probably be left off in the winter.

I assume the KW stated are a combination of CH and Hot water capability.
Of course I realise this is based on a std temp water coming into the house and will be colder input in winter.

But it seems to me that 35KW for a minimalist house like this is ridiculous.

If anyone has a recommendation please advise why ? Thanks all for your help again.

I would personally recommend a 28kw vaillant but if you have very high water pressure i would suggest fitting a pressure reducing valve to protect it especially the plate heat ex

I agree with that. You cannot put the words "ideal" and "reliable" in the same sentance when talking about boilers/heating. Avoid the Isar like the plague!

Thanks for the vote.

Surprised no-one has said go with Worcester-Bosch yer can't go wrong as I thought these were the famous reliable make ??

A lot of money to end up in hell :evil:

Thanks again.

Thanks for the vote.

Surprised no-one has said go with Worcester-Bosch yer can't go wrong as I thought these were the famous reliable make ??

A lot of money to end up in hell :evil:

Thanks again.

alot of engineers have their favourites and there's not alot wrong with WB. Ideal however are less reliable than a chocolate fireguard.

i would never fit a ideal my self but before you go off think your installer is trying to rip you off it may be simply that he thinks it is a good boiler and wants to give you a good level of hot water with a 35kw boiler.

and remember he has only give you a quote and has told the make and model of the boiler...he has done nothing wrong :LOL: it is up to you to say yes or no

if you still want him to install a boiler ask him if you could have a different model

i would never fit a ideal my self but before you go off think your installer is trying to rip you off it may be simply that he thinks it is a good boiler and wants to give you a good level of hot water with a 35kw boiler.

and remember he has only give you a quote and has told the make and model of the boiler...he has done nothing wrong :LOL: it is up to you to say yes or no

if you still want him to install a boiler ask him if you could have a different model

i agree he has done nothing wrong. ask for a quote with the ecotec pro28 (well priced and good quality)

Why fit an Ecotec Pro 28 when an 831 is only about £50 more and is higher spec with a 2 year warranty :confused: .

Pro's were only introduced as a low price entry into the new build market.

Why fit an Ecotec Pro 28 when an 831 is only about £50 more and is higher spec with a 2 year warranty :confused: .

Pro's were only introduced as a low price entry into the new build market.

i think customer is VERY price orientated.

They could spend a lot more than £50 in the second year with an out of warranty call out though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back