Help Re-Connecting Pan to Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a keen and competent DIYer and after buying an older house am attempting some plumbing myself. I was wondering if anyone can help me.

In the pictures attached:

20230925_211231.jpg

20230924_200656.jpg

20230925_211219.jpg

• Why is there a rubber/soft piece on the end of the grey soil pipe coming out the wall and what's it called?
  • If I were to re-insert the orange pipe (planning to possibly replace this with a white one) is it a good idea to change that rubber/soft piece and also the washer inside it?
  • If I am doing that, should I seal it somehow or is it "push fit"? It didn't seem sealed when I pulled it out.
  • Could I replace the pan connector and orange pipe with a longer, flexible pan connector? Or would that not fit into the grey pipe snuggly?
Sorry for all the questions and many thanks!

Sponsored Links
1) Are you talking about the black rubber pushfit seal that you can see on the inside of the grey110mm soil pipe in pic 1? If it is still nice and soft and stays there when you insert the brown soil pipe then no real need to replace
2) The black rubber seal should be one piece not sure what you mean about the washer?
3) refer back to 1
4) You need a piece of brown/grey/white/black soil pipe in the grey socket end in the wall so the fins of the pan connector can seal properly. You could cut the piece of soil pipe you have just now so once fully inserted it sits flush with the end of the socket and then use a long straight pan connector or an extension piece with a similar pan connector that you have just now.

1) Are you talking about the black rubber pushfit seal that you can see on the inside of the grey110mm soil pipe in pic 1? If it is still nice and soft and stays there when you insert the brown soil pipe then no real need to replace
2) The black rubber seal should be one piece not sure what you mean about the washer?
3) refer back to 1
4) You need a piece of brown/grey/white/black soil pipe in the grey socket end in the wall so the fins of the pan connector can seal properly. You could cut the piece of soil pipe you have just now so once fully inserted it sits flush with the end of the socket and then use a long straight pan connector or an extension piece with a similar pan connector that you have just now.

That's awesome input thanks. For 1) I was referring to the paler grey soft bit at the end of the grey soil pipe. For 3) I meant when I insert the soil pipe does it need sealed with silicone or anything?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
1) the outside 'ring' on the grey soil pipe is the seal retainer, it can be prised off and the seal can be removed.

3) as long as the black rubber seal stays where it is when the (brown) pipe is inserted and it's reasonably tight in there (not too much lubricant needed) then no other seal required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back