help! removing a bristan mono mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok - i thought this was going to be an easy job. but no.

Rather than the standard threaded rod with brass nut to hold the tap on from underneath, this old tap has what appears to be a black plastic cap, which fits a 12mm socket and has a flat screwdriver slot in the end. The rest of it is appears to be a black plastic sleeve. There's no nut visible further, just under the moon shaped washer.

So how do I get this off?

Please help.

Sponsored Links
The black plastic part holds the tap to the sink, then there should be the 'moon' shaped plastic and metal washers above the plastic 'nut' between that and the underside of the sink. Correct size socket on the black plastic 'nut' should undo it, if it doesn't then time for plan B.....

here's the offending 'nut' just in case........

DSC_0164_zps7271c30d.jpg

Sponsored Links
I take it that it wont undo? If access is available (i'd suspect not looking at the pic...) then a pair of grips might get it moving. If the nut itself doesnt shift it may unscrew out of the tap body instead.

Failing that then may have to be sink out to get it off....

Ratchet socket and extension bar.
Spray loads of WD40 on it then run the hot tap to get some heat into it.
Then try to tighten it a bit just to 'crack the thread' before you try to undo it.

Until you tried it you can't say you've tried it.

Did you manage to get this off? I have the same plastic sleeve on an IKEA tap and it won't budge.
Thanks
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back