Help required...Suprima, but not the board!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Ok...deep breath.

I have a Suprima 50 that was in my property when I moved in...so is about 9 years old. 7 Rads. Copper cylinder...Recent pump change.

Had the whole PCB problem in the last year and has been running fine on a new one since then.

Recently had a problem, which was reported by the LED as APS/Flow Switch fault. No Flow switch is fitted.

Much investigation...lead to removal of fan...and scrapping "crap" out of the fan housing and also, out of the Tube, that the APS hose fits on to.

So the tube was blocked, meaning the APS wasn't functioning correctly.

Sorted...happy and warm.

In the last week, the problem has reoccurred...in my haste..I purchased and fitted a new APS (Honeywell) today. Didn't work.
Removed fan again and found the crap to have returned.

This I think...may have something to do with a leak on my roof...I think water is getting into the flue...gathering crap with it and dropping into the fan...but that is another issue.

My problem now...is that my boiler, will repeatedly fire up for 10 or so seconds, then the pump will run, then the boiler will fire...shut off etc and nothing is really getting very warm, other than my cheeks.

Also, it will occasionally revert back to the flashing red light (3 or 4 times per second) signalling an APS fault, but will cure itself and start the cycle again.

I have bled the radiators (I do have one upstairs that collects air)...I have bled the pump.

I have tried altering the Temp control on the boiler and room stat (also fairly new).

I am considering putting the old APS back in and also considering the prospect of a cold Xmas.

The fan spins lovely...blades are a little messy but not blocked.

Can anyone please tell me what to do?

I think I will put the old APS back in anyway, as that seems to be the only thing that has actually changed. How about the tubes to the APS? How tight should they be?

What is the significance of "System Bypass"?

Sorry for the essay.

Regards

Gary

Sponsored Links
You have already ventured beyond safe diy. If there is any chance water went in the flue, you need a pro to check all is still okay

I have had a CORGI fitter friend round on two occasions. Once for the board and once before I discovered the crap in the fan housing ....

But, it may be hard to get hold of him do close to Xmas!
I am a competent person, with an engineering background.

What is annoying me, is that I know the problem was caused by the tube on the fan housing being blocked, stopping the APS from functioning.

We are not talking about gallons of water...(even if that is what it was).

What I want to know...is....could fitting the new APS, cause the problem...if it happened to be faulty?

Could it be the fan...although, the boiler now runs...albeit for a few seconds before going to green yellow and starting again.

Can I check for air in the system, by operating the bleed/hose connection on top of the boiler?

It would make sense to me, that potentially...heated water is not clearing the boiler quick enough...so causing it to shut off....and turn to green flashing.

Cheers

Gaz

Sponsored Links
Well...clearly...expertise in the area is preferable...but I have no intention of touching the gas supply...even if I knew that was the problem!

Are you able to give any reasons why this may be happening...gas supply aside?

Anything that may be in the realms of us mere mortals...bleeding air...and so on?

Cheers

Gaz

Certainly...but in what and how??

I have an inquisitive mind...if doing something would be "bad" then to know why...is useful:D

Certainly...but in what and how??

if doing something would be "bad" then to know why...is useful:D

because it could endanger your safety, the safety of others including neighbours, and considerable damage to goods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back