Help save my new ceiling from a leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a water leak earlier today in the kitchen, from above a poor connection under the bath. Long story short pulled kitchen ceiling down to locate so that will need re-doing (it was old and artexed AND woodchip papered anyway, so its an excuse to get rid of it)

We recently had the lounge plastered and decorated, and you can see the plasterboard joins are wet from where the excess water has run, a few drips did come through the light fittings.

Obviously you cna see down where the water ran from the kitchen to above the lounge as the kitchen ceiling is now down, whats the best way to (hopefully) save the newly plastered lounge ceiling?

Would a dehumidifier up in kitchen ceiling dry out the water thats possibly still above the lounge? Or maximum heat in lounge, radiators on full and couple of oil radiators in middle of the room?

Please help save my new lounge ceiling
frown.gif

Sponsored Links
I think that's about all you can do. Use both and hope for the best.

I think there is a product you can apply to deal with the water staining once it is dry. Worth googling if you have discoloration.

Sponsored Links
Also if there is standing water then drill some small holes to catch the water with buckets. At least then the ceiling won't soak up any more water and you can fill the holes easily enough..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back