help setting up my router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
followed instructions yesterday and after connecting router to modem all lights that should be lit and green seem correct

I enter ip address etc and I get error when it tries to connect to internet error says problem with dsl/cable or internet connection

Internet works fine without router when just going through modem - don't want to start messing about with settings and end up with no internet at all

need this setup as got a 3 mobile signal booster box for my mobile

It's a d-link router, I am with Virgin broadband and running windows XP

any help greatly received

Sponsored Links
Was the router supplied by Virgin Media?
If so connect up and plug the cable from your computer into the back of the router, then open a browser and type in www.routerlogin.com. It should ask for a username and password. Usual username for VM supplied routers is "virgin" and the password is "password" (both without the quotes) You can have a look there for settings etc and check the status of the router.

Alternatively, before connecting the router, go to the Virgin Media forums at http://community.virginmedia.com/ then have a look through there or leave a question on the appropriate section

Virgin Media (cable) modems remember the MAC address (identification) of the last machine plugged in to them. Switch off the modem, switch off the router, switch off the computer. Leave everything off for 10 minutes. In this order - switch on the modem. Then switch on the router, and finally switch on the PC. You should now have an internet connection.

If your with Virgin Media then you should be entitled to there free Super Hub Wifi Router! ring them up and have an enginner come out and install it for you

Sponsored Links
I don't understand why you are using a router *and* a modem.

All the broadband services I have used before, I just connected my computer to the router and the router to the telephone line.

I don't understand why you are using a router *and* a modem.

All the broadband services I have used before, I just connected my computer to the router and the router to the telephone line.

Because Virgin connections used to come with separate modems. DOCSIS is not ADSL.

It appears that VM are now supplying their "Superhub" which is a combined modem/router, from what I can glean a Netgear CG3101D which is loaded with VM's own firmware. Its default subnet is 192.168.0.x and has wireless speeds of up to 150Mbps.

And it, like nearly every ISP supplied router (and especially the likes of BT's Homehub) is a godafwul, unreliable POS. Unfortunately it's forced upon you with no choice whatsoever in the matter.

I got the VM Superhub installed a few weeks ago, courtesy of VM. Not had any problems yet. Login is slightly different from my old router though. Was on a 10Mb service and checking it on speedtest.net, I'm now getting just over 31Mb speed. VM are in the process of doubling their speeds, but I honestly never expected 3x the speed. ;) ;)

followed instructions yesterday and after connecting router to modem all lights that should be lit and green seem correct

I enter ip address etc and I get error when it tries to connect to internet error says problem with dsl/cable or internet connection

Internet works fine without router when just going through modem - don't want to start messing about with settings and end up with no internet at all

Nobody has mentioned the DHCP, both devices will try to act as a DHCP server. If you leave you VM modem as the DHCP server you will need to disable it on the router thus making you router act just as a switch.

If your still having issues post up the model of your DLink

Nobody has mentioned the DHCP, both devices will try to act as a DHCP server. If you leave you VM modem as the DHCP server you will need to disable it on the router thus making you router act just as a switch.

Uh, you need both to act as a DHCP server. They won't conflict, they're not on the same network. The router won't do anything useful if it's not acting as a router, now will it?

Uh, you need both to act as a DHCP server. They won't conflict, they're not on the same network. The router won't do anything useful if it's not acting as a router, now will it?

Why does it need to act as a DHCP if its already plugged into one?

Why does it need to act as a DHCP if its already plugged into one?

.. Because DHCP on the modem is advertising the WAN address for one device to use, and DHCP on the router advertises addresses in an RFC1918 network to be routed via NAT?

Do DLINK use 192.168.1.1 as their default IP address? If so then it may be the VM modem is on another subnet (192.168.0.1)?
I'd have thought you only need one DHCP server in a house to assign all network addresses.

Do DLINK use 192.168.1.1 as their main address? If so then it may be the VM modem is on another subnet (192.168.0.1)?
I'd have thought you only need one DHCP server in a house to assign all network addresses.

You only need one DHCP server on your network. The WAN side of the router is not your network, it is the internet.

The addresses used by the router and modem for configuration are immaterial.

Sponsored Links
Back