HELP. Some sockets in flat losing power.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to be having a problem with some of the sockets in my flat.

The last couple of days all the plugs in the bedroom and all except one in the living room have lost power totally along with the shower pump.

I switched the breaker on and off last night and everything came back on, then this morning they went out again. And have not come back on.

I checked all the fuses and they are fine (they are the old ceramic kind). The lights all work, along with all the sockets in the kitchen.

Any ideas for other stuff I could check or any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We will need a few more details, what exactly is the breaker that is tripping, i'm guessing it's an RCD on the tails between the meter and CU, now if its that there are numerous things that could be the problem these include.

Faulty portable appliance
Faulty fixed appliance
short or leak to earth in the fixed wiring and accesories.

You can find the fault without test gear, but it's a long arduous process of elimination and requires a fair bit of knowledge - if you have an electricians test set it will speed things up, but unless you have the knowledge i'd bite the bullet and call in a pro.

Thanks for your reply.

Knowing nothing about electrics and wiring I don't understand anything you have said ;)

I guess i'll have to get someone to come out and have a look.

All I know is that it must be something in either the kitchen or the bedroom that is causing the problem.

Both mornings, the tv in the bedroom has just switched off. I have used the toaster/kettle both mornings.

All the sockets in the kitchen are fine.

It's more the fact my shower pump has gone down too.... so it's now a trickle. I can handle a few sockets being out for now. :)

I switched the breaker on and off

I checked all the fuses and they are fine (they are the old ceramic kind)

:confused:

This sounds an odd setup.

Can you take a photo of the units you describe?

Do you have a gas boiler? Which circuit does that live on?

Sponsored Links
Picture 1 is the electric meters etc and fuses (i've taken off the cover to show the ceramic fuses).

I did just go and check the plugs in the kitchen however and tried them all.

The one in top right had the toaster in it and I just tried switching them all on and off and the plug the toaster had been in made a 'fizzing' sound and the light went on and off.

I'm guessing this may be the problem!!!! So should I switch off the power and check the wiring of this socket? And will this help to restore the power to the other sockets?

Sorry, this is my first flat and I'm quite young and clueless in these matters! Sorry for all the questions.[/img]

Right

This is a fairly old installation, which isn't nessesarily bad but I can't see a trip switch, the red switch at the end of your fusebox is a simple double pole switch, if it is this that you have to throw on and off the contacts have gone and I would advise you getting it replaced ASAP as these can overheat and cause a fire.

ok, it sounds like the socket is faulty and needs replacing. Its fairly old anyway, had a good innings. I gather its a small kitchen, given they bunched 4 sockets together like that.

However, I dont think that socket will be the source of the other problem.

You say the kitchen sockets are all working, its the bedroom and living room sockets you're having trouble with?

Can you give us a rundown of what circuits you have? IE. Pull each fuse in turn and see what doesnt work (and make a list for future reference!)

Do you have a couple of storage heaters? I see its an economy 7 supply there.

The course of action I'd take is to remove each socket in turn (with the power off at the mains) and check all the connections are nice and tight, and everything in its place, then we can start looking at other things.

You dont have an RCD, so thats one thing it cannot be. And if the fuses are all intact, then you dont have an overload situation.

The worrying thing is, if part of your socket circuit is loosing pwoer, and they are rings, you may be overloading part of the circuits and no protective device will operate, possibly causing a fire. So first thing, check all the connections in the sockets. Also, trace the wires where they leave each socket back, so find all the accessories on the circuit, fused spurs etc. Check everything.

Right

This is a fairly old installation, which isn't nessesarily bad but I can't see a trip switch, the red switch at the end of your fusebox is a simple double pole switch, if it is this that you have to throw on and off the contacts have gone and I would advise you getting it replaced ASAP as these can overheat and cause a fire.
But he still has power to lights and some sockets.

Right

The pole switch works fine as far as i can tell and turns all the lights and power on and off.

I think it's the socket in the kitchen that has caused it. I removed all appliances from the top socket as shown in the picture above and now all the sockets have started working again along with the shower pump.

So should I check the wiring on the kitchen socket?

ok, it sounds like the socket is faulty and needs replacing. Its fairly old anyway, had a good innings. I gather its a small kitchen, given they bunched 4 sockets together like that.

However, I dont think that socket will be the source of the other problem.

You say the kitchen sockets are all working, its the bedroom and living room sockets you're having trouble with?

Can you give us a rundown of what circuits you have? IE. Pull each fuse in turn and see what doesnt work (and make a list for future reference!)

Do you have a couple of storage heaters? I see its an economy 7 supply there.

The course of action I'd take is to remove each socket in turn (with the power off at the mains) and check all the connections are nice and tight, and everything in its place, then we can start looking at other things.

You dont have an RCD, so thats one thing it cannot be. And if the fuses are all intact, then you dont have an overload situation.

The worrying thing is, if part of your socket circuit is loosing pwoer, and they are rings, you may be overloading part of the circuits and no protective device will operate, possibly causing a fire. So first thing, check all the connections in the sockets. Also, trace the wires where they leave each socket back, so find all the accessories on the circuit, fused spurs etc. Check everything.

The kitchen is getting replaced fully this year! and all sockets etc will be getting replaced.

The central heating is gas, so no storage heaters!

I'll go and check all the fuses and see what turns on and off!

I replaced all the sockets in the living room a year or so ago.

The bedroom will be next to follow, so i'll check all the connections in these too!

Sound like a loose connection at the toaster socket, check the tightness of all terminals at that socket (with power OFF at fuseboard) If it is supposed to be a ring and there is only one loose connection then the ring will be broken somewhere- not good.

Sorry, should have read more carefully, OK so your fuseboard is OK we will assume and the socket fizzes, the fizzing is the sound created by an electric arc either within the socket or in the immediate vacinity.

If you want to DIY I would first ensure power is off to the socket and then remove the two screws securing the faceplate, gently pull it forward, there will be red, black and green/yellow wires going into the back of it, look carefully for signs of scorching, not only on the socket but the wiring, especially where it passes through the metal backbox.

Replace the socket with a suitable type, wiring the same way - all reds to L all blacks to N all green/yel to earth (E), if the wiring is scorched see if there is enough slack to re-make the ends, otherwise B&Q sell heat shrinkable plastic sleeve and insulation tape that can be used (it's better to re-make though).

Re-Assemble and power up. You can buy a plug tester for about a fiver that tells you if you have wired it correctly.

will stress TURN OFF power before you do anything

Do you have anything in your flat that uses off peak power? You have an off peak supply, thats all. Does your electric bill state you have two tarrifs, peak and off peak?

The thing is, if you are on an eco7 tarrif but dont use anything during the night, your bills will be more than they should be. Yes, its cheaper at night, but its also more expensive during the day than with a flat tarrif.

Do you have anything in your flat that uses off peak power? You have an off peak supply, thats all. Does your electric bill state you have two tarrifs, peak and off peak?

The thing is, if you are on an eco7 tarrif but dont use anything during the night, your bills will be more than they should be. Yes, its cheaper at night, but its also more expensive during the day than with a flat tarrif.

The reading from my last bill:

Meter: 7027986
Off-peak energy 39613 39613 (E) 0
Meter: 7221791
Standard energy 52671 52914 (E) 243

So 0 off-peak used according to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back