**HELP** Structural opening stable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our builder has made an opening between two reception rooms (internal 100mm (4'') timber stud load-bearing spine wall) of an Edwardian 1st floor flat.

There is a 225mm (9'') masonry wall directly below this wall in the basement flat. Spine wall also supports the mid-span of the floor above and another load-bearing timber stud wall.

The timber joists are 65mm x 175 deep and are staggered across a timber wall plate above the basement wall. The joists run perpendicular to the wall.

Following Struct. Engineers advice the builder has built two 225 x 337mm brick piers at either end of the opening, upon which a 2.8m long 254 x 102 x 28 UB sits (on concrete padstones).

However, the building control officer has brought to our attention the fact that the brick piers are sat upon floor joists/wall plate and not directly bonded to the 225mm masonry wall below.

Do we need to cut the timber wall plate away to reveal the masonry wall below to bond our piers to?

The joist spacing also means that we cannot sit a 337mm pier length between them. Its only wide enough to put a single 225mm brick. This therefore meant the builder laid brickwork upon the joists.

We have also discovered that the centre of our brick pier does not align with the centre line of the masonry wall below by about 100mm. The pier is therfore partly resting on plaster ceiling of the flat below.

Our engineer has been very unhelpful and the building control officer wants to know if the current condition is suitable.

Any advice please........? We are having sleepless nights worring about it.

Sponsored Links
by the sounds off it your builder has built brick piers straight onto the wood flooring which is a big nono but if your floor truses run over the wall in celler they would need to be fitted with joist hangers then the originol wall built to hight needed

I would harrass the engineer firstly , he needs to visit site and see the situation first hand ,

The question i would be asking is "why has he asked for a 337 pier to be built off a 215 wall ?

Then i would be asking of the builder why he deemed it ok to build off the floor / plates , it really is a no no as said before .

Between them , they need to get a solution for you .

Many thanks for your advice.

Just to clarify:

The pier is 337mm long (in the direction of the wall below) and it is 225mm wide. So the width is ok and matches the width of the wall below -but the length of the pier cannot fit between the joists bearing on the wall plate. i.e. the existing joists are 225mm apart and so the 337mm long pier is partly resting on the timber joists.

Sponsored Links
masonry needs to bond to masonry.

wood expands, and more worryingly, shrinks too. :eek:

Happy to be shot down in flames, but.....

I had to increase the height of an original supporting wall with wall plate on top. BCO advised to remove the wall plate, to reduce the risks of shrinkage cracks etc, but did not insist upon it.
I went for the easy option and left it there and haven't had a problem in the last year.

a brick pier carrying a concentrated load, is a different scenario to a load that is spread across the length of a wall. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back