Help to Heat my DHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. My first post but i have been reading alot today.

So my problem.... I have a renewable friendly home. My Heating and hotwater is generated by a large solar thermal setup and ASHP. March to November i get nice hot water throughout the day. However in the frosty months i rarely get enough hot water in the early mornings for showers. after 11am ish then its fine but we really need hotter water around 6am.

So what can i do? there's no mains gas, i would prefer to stay away from lpg. That leaves me with elec water heating.

the 2 options i have seen are either a inline instant water heater. I have seen one which will accept the hot water from my thermal store which is around 30c in the morning. Heat it to 40c for my shower but with a limited flow rate of 5l/m at good pressure. I need to measure my current l/m to see if that would be acceptable. Also i would need to run a new 10/16mm cable to my consumer unit (not an easy run)

other option, fit a tank water heater maybe 50ltr. 3kw. Again fit the hot water supply to the unit so that it is only required to heat the additional 10c rather than from cold. this will give me 50ltrs of hot water for showers. is this enough for 2 showers in the morning around 15-20mins apart? In the summer months i wont be using the elec heater so would i need to by-pass it? or let my thermal store water to continue to flow through it (max temp is 50c as it is already mixed)

instant water heater (which accepts hot water) http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/zip-cex-u-under-sink-water-heater-72-to-96kw/

and 50ltr water heater - http://electricaldealsdirect.co.uk/media/pdfs/Powerflow Ins.pdf

do either of these sound plausible? i'm clutching at straws to get a warm shower in the mornings so any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it is a sonnenkraft 1000ltr store. Solar thermal on one coil, ASHP on another. also has a fresh water module which uses the incoming cold feed, through a heat exchanger for our DHW. Heating is UFH downstairs and rads upstairs. Heating is all fine, even the hot water is fine once the sun is out, just those showers first thing in the morning during the winter.

Surprised they don't have a electric element for back up.

Sponsored Links
The ASHP does have but it uses degree mins to calculate if its required to turn on the element or attempt to run the pump to add heat. i have had the degree min settings adjusted a few times with varying results. I think the main issue is that the pump is too small for the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back