Help to use a multi meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I've just joined and lookin for a bit of help.

I am a gas engineer who does mostly servicing and when doing basic electrical checks i have always used a socket n see.

I need to be able to do polarity tests and check earth loop impedence using a multi meter in case the socket n see doesnt work.

I am a total novice using a multi meter and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, jambo

Sponsored Links
I assume you work for Scottish Gas, or as a contractor if you use a socket & see, doesnt matter if you dont ,my point still stands,

If your employer is making demands on the equipment you use then they have a mandatory obligation to ensure you are competent to use that equipment.

As gas engineers we know to prove competance you need to get a certificate, so they need to supply you with suitable training/assessment before you are let loose with a multimeter, so the best place to start is with your employer.

Put the onus on them to give you the skill they demand you have, cause you can bet your boots they will be bootin your arris if you do something wrong :evil:

your right mate but was just lookin for a bit of basic knowledge so as to not look a total plonker!

your right mate but was just lookin for a bit of basic knowledge so as to not look a total plonker!

fair enough and good point, but it still comes back to their liability, why not speak to someone in work who could be persuaded that official training will protect them, meaning you get what you need, and worse case scenario better to look like a plonker than be pan bread, (PS i dont think you are a plonker declaring you dont know something, how can you know something until you are shown how)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back