HELP!! Toilet fills with bathwater!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A problem appeared last night for the first time when emptying the bath - at first it appeared to be emptying as normal, with a lot of gurgling from the toilet, the pan began filling with soapy water!

Left to its own devices, both the toilet and the bath eventually emptied. This took about 15 minutes.

Bath and toilet (plus washbasin) are all in an upstairs bathroom. Washbasin appears to be emptying OK, and toilet normally flushes OK. The problem only appears when emptying a bathful of water.

Can anyone tell me where the problem is likely to be, and what I should do about it?

Thanks

Jass.

Sponsored Links
You have a partial blockage in the soil pipe.

Get one of those big sucker things (you can make your own Dalek) and when you empty the bath next time plunge it up and down in the pan and you'll probably clear it. It will only get worse when you use the loo so you've got to sort it before it blocks completely.

Cut the hands off anyone who disposes of nappies, sannies or anything down the loo.

BTW do the downstairs appliances empty into the same soil stack, and are they draining OK?

Thanks for the quick responses.

As far as I have observed, the downstairs drainage is fine, but the upstairs also seem to be OK until a bathful of water is introduced into the system.

I guess this is because the blockage is some way down the pipe and the toilet doesn't fill until the bathwater has encountered th blockage an backed all the way back upstairs?

Jass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Tonygerm & Strachan - Yes, both of those thoughts ocurred to me as well - didn't for the life of me dare flush the toilet!

Joe-90 - Thanks for the positive suggestion. Plunger did no good so we got in a local 'drain man' who tackled the problem by going on the roof and rodding down the full length of the stench pipe.

Jass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back