Help! Undercoat emergency!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got nice Crown Trade undercoat for my woodwork, but I've just run out.

In my infinite wisdom, I went rummaging in the cupboard and found a tin of cheapo undercoat and thought it would do for the little bit I had left to undercoat.

But I've just discovered that it's not as pure brilliant white as the Crown stuff.

How important is quality undercoat? Is this what might have caused previous paint to "yellow" really quickly?

After all my hard work, I'm gonna be gutted if cheap undercoat is going to ruin it all.

I can feel an early morning trip to the Crown centre coming on................. :cry:

Sponsored Links
ok apart from the age off the paint that i have not looked at
oil based will yellow water based will not yellow ;)

Yeah, I've got waterbased in the kitchen and it's still pristine white - I'm doing the hallway just now - and I only did the woodwork there 6 months ago and it discoloured really quickly - I thought it was maybe cos I'd cheated and used cheapo undercoat (also used Crown gloss from B&Q and apparently it just ain't the same).

So this time I went for the good stuff - and ran out - will that cheapo undercoat make any huge difference to the end result?

It won't make any difference. It's the top topcoat that yellows regardless of what's below.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! Have to say though - that cheap undercoat stinks to high heaven! It's horrible!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back