help understanding deeds

Latest up date just spoke to the son of the builder who built the houses almost 30 years ago

Now it getting interesting:The the driveway is still owned by the builder so is the car parking space where he wants to build the garage
I wouldn't be too sure of that. It's more likely that the parking space was sold as part of the property. Only the brown shaded area is common and subject to your rights of access.
The builder recons it would be very hard to sell the land as his dad has been dead for the last 17 years
Dunno what he's trying to say here. When the original owner died, the title would have passed to his heirs - either as directed in his will, or by the rules applied if he dies intestate.
After a time can you claim the land as your own
Not in this case. You are thinking of what is often called "squatters rights", or more correctly (I believe) as possessive title. To gain possessive title (briefly) you need to have occupied the land for 10 years - without permission. In this case, the possession was "with permission" as so doesn't count.

I did hear of a case locally a few years ago. Someone bought a house that came with a lovely big garden. After purchase he got a letter along the lines of "The land <description> is mine, you can continue to use it but it remains mine and I reserve the right to ask for it back at any time". A good chunk of the garden wasn't actually the vendor's to sell and was only used by permission of the actual owner - something which apparently didn't come up during negotiations or checks (wonder what the buyer's solicitor was doing when he should have been checking titles).
So because the new owner is occupying the land by permission, he cannot claim possessive title to it.

What possessive title would allow you to do is, for example, move your back fence out and claim a bit of the "waste" land behind it. If the owner doesn't come forward and complain, then after 10 years you can apply for possessive title, but then it is still not fait acompli. There are guides online at (IIRC) the Land Registry that give all the detail.

Sponsored Links
Yes i am in 2A and 1B is the one who wants the garage

On the planning application he has stated that the builder owns the land and that he has got advice from a solicitor and is purchasing the land, but it does't state what land or size.But when speaking to the builders son he told me that he had been approached about purchasing the land.

Regards

I would expect that the land belongs to 1B just as your garage is shown as belonging to you, download the title plan for your neighbour and you will find out. Can I ask why you don't want them to build this garage, after all it seems the rest of you have one.

Hi yes fair point that we have garages,but so does he his garage is an integral type + room on the drive for 3 cars.

But its not just myself who is objecting the other 2 properties are also,I will put in my objections but also look at the land register

Regards

Sponsored Links
My "gut feeling" is that they aren't objecting to the garage, just to the idea that something "that's theirs" is being sold off to be built on. Once they've worked out who owns what (and so it isn't "theirs"), I suspect they'll be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back