Help understaning Boiler/mid-port/Room thermostat operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri with an open Y plan system, with a room thermostat (no by-pass, one radiator left open).
I'm a bit confused.
I think that the heating is not going off even though the room thermostat has clicked off.
At the moment the timer is CH only on & the room thermostat has reached temperature, in fact i've turned it to 10 degrees.
However I notice that the mid position valve stays in the HW position & the boiler keeps coming on for about a minute every 5/10 minutes or so.

Is this normal behavior? - The system is a year old & I didn't think it did this last year.
In fact previously I had to explain to the wife that all the radiators went off once the hall thermostat had clicked off.

I can get the mid port valve to move if I turn up/down the tank thermostat with the timer HW on so I don't think the mid-port valve is stuck.

(confession:- I did fit a suppressor accross the room thermostat yesterday - but unless the suppressor is faulty i can't see how that would cause this problem - if that's what it is).

Sponsored Links
It might be the supressor as mid pos valves are scary comlexed.

so you have to remove the supressor if the performance resumes normally you have your problem. Cope with a little snow on the tv, or convert to S plan and use your supressor so you can watch your precious tv unhindered.

If it doesn't improve sounds like you have a faulty mid pos valve. Doesn't hapen to be salus does it? Bin it and buy a honeywell. At present the game is for china to consume all the earth's precious resources turning out merchandise which is not of merchantable quality using slave labour for less money than the sum, of the parts. But anything thata works only does so for 6 weeks and anything that doesn't can't be taken back because of excessive postage costs.

Then when eventually people realise the situation anyone in the west who had the skill to make the stuff will be so deep in debt through no trade that they can't tool up again, and we will fall off the cliff into the third world.

Thanks, I've removed the switch suppressor & that's fixed it.
It's a drayton.
I agree I would have chosen Honeywell, I asked for a WB boiler but never thought to specify such minutae to my installer.
Actually I fitted it not to watch my beloved telly but to fix the boiler which goes into a fault mode every now & then.
The last time it happened was after the wife waggled the thermostat (as they do)
so I thought she might have found the cause which WB (after 4 visits) & my installer after 20 phone calls & one visit haven't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back