Help wanted for my dead B&D grinder

Not going to argue , I was merely pointing out how I got round a similar problem to the OP's . I'm fully aware how H&S operate . The Mikita by the way is new brought to replace a not very old one that was stolen and they both had the same type of switch which in my opinion is just poor design so nothing to repair or replace really.

Sponsored Links
Lola, let me get this right... You had a not very old grinder that in you opinion had a design flaw in the switch, this was then stolen....So you bought another Makita with the same design flaw.... I feel a face palm coming on. :D

Poor design but liveable with and add in other factors like cost and from what I've read a decently reliable motor then it wasn't too much of a hardship. Just need to keep an eye on it and clean it regularly .
I and others I used to work with had access to fein cutters , again a cracking tool but with a poorly designed switch , one advantage can outweigh a disadvantage.

Sponsored Links
OK Lola, I think that we have got to the bottom of your problem. It isn't poor design but poor maintenance or care for the tools of your trade.... My Fein Multimaster is quite a few years old and the switch works perfectly... But I take care of my tools

No not really, as I said I keep an eye on the tools and clean out the crap , but the fact that they can collect all that so quickly and become stiff or even inoperative says to me poor design.
With regards to the fein cutter , personally I didn't have one fail but the plant manager of the company I worked for moaned several times about the cheap tacky switches that he was often replacing. There was rarely any other thing needing doing to the tool. Again dust was the problem entering the switch , possibly not helped by being used by the masons on stonework , but a problem that could be solved with a little better design.

The upshot is that if anything goes wrong with cheap throw-away tools.......throw them away. :rolleyes:

Everything is cr*p these days. I have a B&D hammer drill which my father gave to me twenty years ago and someone gave it to him previously. Apart from one change of brushes it still works fine and I certainly don't treat it with respect. As for modern tools they last about three years.

I still have screwdrivers which I bought from a secondhand tool shop when I was nineteen, they were made to last.

The upshot is that if anything goes wrong with cheap throw-away tools.......throw them away. :rolleyes:

Getting to the core of the problem , goods being designed to fail and thrown away rather than being made sturdy or repairable.

My advice is to replace it with a Hitachi, I've had mine for decades, don't bother with a Bosch, there is no weight to them and they jump all over the place..

Everything is cr*p these days. I have a B&D hammer drill which my father gave to me twenty years ago and someone gave it to him previously. Apart from one change of brushes it still works fine and I certainly don't treat it with respect. As for modern tools they last about three years.
20 years?

That's nothing!

My Dad still has a B&D metal cased drill* in orange with the year stamped on the plate: 1972. Works fine!

Similar to this US one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100485352/vintage-orange-black-decker-electric

BTW: the label says "SERVICE ONLY WITH IDENTICAL REPLACEMENT PARTS"

Sponsored Links
Back