Help what unvented cylinder do I go for???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a typical gravity system. The boiler was new 3 years ago. We want to do away with all tanks in loft. So we are thinking of going for a pressurised cylinder and expansion vessel. We have a 5 bed and 2 bathroom house.
The System has two motorised valves and external pump near the boiler (gloworm) in the cellar. I was thinking of getting a 250L Megaflo but there are so many? What do I need. Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
Any of the unvented cylinders will do.
Many are made in exactly the same factory and just branded under a number of brands.

I have a Zip . It's been fine.

Check water pressure and flow rates...both static pressure and dynamic.

I suggest a seperate expansion vessel on the cylinder...bubble tops often need re-charging far more frequently than their claimed annual service. If the cylinders going in the cellar Megaflo's a no-go.

Megaflos....always been overpriced for what they are. You might want to check the price of immersion heaters on these...they can be a rip-off (you'll still be using it when the boiler packs up).

Sponsored Links
You mention not to put a megaflo in a cellar.
Why, I was thinking about doing just that as they say on their website that you can put them in the cellar, loft, garage anywhere.
They do seem expensive but they do seem to be very well made, well insulated and dont need a expansion vessel as it has its own system.
My boiler is down in the cellar and isnt it always better to put them together.

They do seem expensive but they do seem to be very well made, well insulated and dont need a expansion vessel as it has its own system.
My boiler is down in the cellar and isnt it always better to put them together.

All good UVs are well insulated, and by "its own system" what you mean is an unfixable, unreplaceable baffle plate system. Also you will find after a few years it will need servicing every 6 months to recharge the vessel. External EV all the way. As for build quality, heatrae sadia(megaflo) role out the santon premier plus and Plumbcenter centrestore cylinders from the same factory in much the same way.

OSO Super Coil

You don't want to put a Megaflo in your cellar as when the air gap depletes (which it will, frequently) it'll be a pain in the ass to recharge it. The internal baffle system is the daftest idea in the world, it needs far more maintenance than expansion vessels.

Buy an OSO Super Coil instead

Oso super series 250L it is then. Like the look of it, very neat, well made, very fast heat up times, so should save on heating bills.
Just hope it's easy for the plumber to fit!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back