HELP! Wiring a sensor light - 2 way switch cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help..Maiden in distress!!!...I am putting up an outdoor sensor light...it was all going really well, until I discovered the wire from the wall was two way switch cable (with 4 leads) My sensor light only has three leads for neutral,live and earth...so WHERE do I connect the 4th wire...Many thanks :eek:

Sponsored Links
it depends how the other end has been wired. you need to find this out.

2 way switched?? Are you sure??

Do you deffinantly have two switched operating this light??

I wonder if the cable you have is a 3 core and earth, and has a sw-live over ride??

lectrician, i think you misread the OP. She merely stated that this wire is "2-way switch cable", she didnt say that it is any part of a 2-way switch circuit.

Perhaps the spark who wired it ran out of twin and earth. :eek: :LOL:

You need to get to the other end of the cable. If you're lucky you will find one of the cores isnt connected to anything. Otherwise, this light has an override switch somewhere in the house.

Sponsored Links
I expect blue is neutral, red is constantly live. Yellow is switch live from a switch in the house.

but some will stay on if you switch off then on within say 10 seconds, i guess we can all guess but the answer is to find the other end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back