help with 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

just started decorating my new house and need help with the wiring in my hallway where the lights on the hall stairs can be switched on and off from a switch downstairs and up stairs. The switches must control there own landing lights also.

some pics: down stair switch - the left switch turns my downstairs light on/off, the right dose nothing.
15042009059.jpg

a closer look:
15042009059-001.jpg

upstairs switch the left switch turns my upstairs light on/off, the right dose nothing. The up-stair light also has another switch of its own and this works fine
15042009058.jpg

a closer look:
15042009058-001.jpg

the stair landing light pic:
15042009057.jpg

a closer look:
15042009057-001.jpg

hope some one can help.
demeter

Sponsored Links
help with what?

i don't actually see a problem stated here, or a question even..

what is it that you want help with?

In pic of downstairs sw what are two wires twisted together? seem to be a shade of grren in pic.

I know it's bad form, but you may be answering my other post and this addition may take time..

are you asking why your 2 way lighting is not working?

edit: yeah those would be the earths...

you do need to put another earth wire under that screw in the backbox in the ceiling.. there is no continuity between the earths otherwise...

electrics:lighting:2waysw.jpg

from the wiki.. where mor information on 2 way lighting can be obtained..

Sponsored Links
That setup has either never worked properly, or someone has been messing around with it.

Downstairs switch / with the orange wallpaper:
Put the loose yellow wire into the empty switch terminal at the top left (next to the blue wire).
The green sleeved wires need to connect to the terminal in the metal backbox.
Leave the other wires as they are.

Upstairs switch / pink walls:
Not clear why you have got 2 switches there, but a likely setup could be:
Looking at the back of the switch, move the Blue at top left into the same terminal as the Black at bottom right.
Move the Yellow (centre top) into the same terminal as the Red (centre bottom)
You should now have along the bottom row: Black (no change), Red+Yellow, Black+Blue.

Of the 2x reds in the same terminal top right, the red from the red/blue/yellow cable stays there. The red from the red/black cable moves to the top left (where the blue one was).
You should now have along the top row: Red, Nothing, Red

The light fitting:
The two red wires twisted together need to be connected in a connection block.
The two Black wires are the Live and Neutral to your light fitting.
The green ones are the Earth and connect to the light fitting. If the light has no earth connection, put these into a separate terminal block.

Upstairs switch / pink walls:
Not clear why you have got 2 switches there

this switch controls 2 lights the upstairs and the stair landing

i will do this tomorrow morning its getting dark and i have a rubbish torch- thanks very much for the help m8!

demeter

Common sense would tell me that the yellow should be wired into the terminal next to the blue. :confused:

15042009059.jpg

fantastic! thanks for the help- i will let you all know how i goes in the morning- thanks so much guys!!!!
demeter

missed one on the orrange wallpaper photo.. swap the 2 reds over.. they're in the wrong switches..

The only thing not clear here is with the top switch:

Don't know which T & E to team up with the three-core. But that's easy to work out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back