Help with a stopcock which wont budge please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Can somebody please give me some tips on how I can free a main water stopcock tap under my kitchen sink.
Attached is a photo
tap.jpg

It will not close or open and is currently stuck in open position.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Kind Regards,
Phil.

Sponsored Links
Ease the gland nut (that is the one closest to the handle) no more than half a turn. You may find the shaft turns with it. Then try turning the handle both directions. Once it moves gently tighten the gland nut.

As a backup find your outside stop cock and and see if that will turn the water off. It's usually under a small cover in the pavement outside your house. Then you will be able to just replace your under sink stop cock. Your stopcock is probably jammed with timescale and you may be able to free it by small movements back and forth with a wrench on the handle but be careful not to break the spindle.

Large ring spanner over the handle, gives plenty of leverage.
But as mentioned, turn it off outside first!

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to undo gland nut on stopcock with the mains water still on please ?

Hi All
Can somebody please give me some tips on how I can free a main water stopcock tap under my kitchen sink.
Attached is a photo
View attachment 343760

It will not close or open and is currently stuck in open position.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Kind Regards,
Phil.
If you put extra leverage on the tee, put an open-end spanner on the hexagon on the valve body, and hold against yourself, to avoid putting too much force on the pipe, risking damage.

Turn the one off in the street and call a plumber to the one under the sink because if you break it you've got a flooded house.

Give it a good squirt of WD 40 and leave it overnight
That only works on rust. If a plumber needs to be called out they hate it when WD40 has been applied as it makes it slippery to work on.

usually an old pair of underpants......................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back