Help with aerial system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a system where I have an aerial A master head amp just below then a length of cable which very long I can only think its more than 70 meters which goes to a cuboard and to a PSU which then feed 4 TV points all with good signal. Now I need to feed 2 other points which are closer to the feed coming from the down feed from the aerial can I just put a splitter in that cable or is that not possible ?

Sponsored Links
if its a good clean signal you can split it and extend it you may need to boost it
i have 8 tvs on 1 aeriel and 3 boosters

Try it. A passive splitter with 2 outputs will reduce the signal by about 60% (4dB) typically. If that causes problems use an amplified splitter with a gain of at least 4dB. (I suspect the lowest you can buy is actually 6dB.)

Anything you insert will increase the amount of "noise" on the signal but, as "big-all" stated, if the signal is strong enough to begin with, the effects shouldn't be visible.

If you are splitting the signal before the current power supply, then you need to choose one with a DC passthrough on one port and use that port for the cable to the power supply. Otherwise some designs of splitter will block the power getting to the masthead amp.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's what I want to do split the cable which comes from the aerial which has a masterhead under it and have 2 more from where I split it can you recommend a splitter which will allow that power supply get to the masterhead?

That only provides one extra output.

Might look at http://www.antiference.co.uk/screened-splitter-combiners-filters-combiners
I suspect a lot of splitters will provide DC passthrough, but you'd need to check before buying.

An alternative, if the cable runs and access are amenable, would be to take the amp off the aerial pole and :
either replace it with a multi-ouput amp where it is, eg one of these http://www.antiference.co.uk/screened-masthead-amplifier-kits-external
or move it to the loft where it will be a bit easier to get to

Not specific product recommendations, but Antiference has been around a long time.

Your link is to the 2 way unit.

The 4 way unit below that doesn't say anything about whether it had DC pasthrough or not. Ah, it does if you click on the more info where it does say yes.
So yes, you're correct that the 4 way unit will do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back