Help with cold HW cylinder/coil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, a little guidance would be appreciated if anyone has the time.

System details ..
-Potterton Netaheat 10-16 boiler
-HW cylinder in the loft
-Pump located in the bathroom, directly above the boiler
-It looks like there is a 2 port valve fitted but its stuck open. If hot water is selected the rads heat up too. As a result my parents have had the rads turned off all summer.

X400 was put in a month ago and the system drained and refilled last weekend. I planned on doing this a couple of times and then putting in some inhibitor.
The rads heat up very well and have all been bled.
The cold feed from the f/e tank doesn't appear to be blocked - if I drain the c/h it fills up again as it should.

My problem is there is no hot water.
Both pipes going into the coil are cold.
Presuming an air locked coil I opened the bleed valve on the upper pipe - only a little air came out and then stopped. No water is coming out of this bleed valve at all.

The 1" pipes going up to the loft seem to be on a circuit including the pump and the 2 port valve branching off this circuit. These 1" pipes are hot about halfway up only.

Does this sound like an air lock in the coil ?
Should I just open one connection where it goes into the hw cylinder ? If so which one, upper or lower, and, should the hw be switched on ?

Alternatively, any other suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Does this sound like an air lock in the coil ?
yes

Should I just open one connection where it goes into the hw cylinder ?
No - risk of damage to an old cyl at connector is high.

Try harder with the vent point. It may be blocked. Water should come out.

Thanks Chris.

WRT the bleed point - it's a screw cap which I can undo by hand.
Once loose, very little air came out and then nothing at all.

If its blocked, what can I actually do to it ?
Stick an unwound paperclip down the hole ?
Replace it ? If so I assume the system needs to be allowed to go cold first and everything switched off ?

WRT the bleed point - it's a screw cap which I can undo by hand.
This sounds like an automatic air valve (AAV). Works a bit like the float in a carburettor. If there is air in the system the valve opens to let it out the water level rises and the valve closes. Any chance of a photo of the valve, if not, is there a maker's name on it?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if its an AAV going by the diagram in the Wiki.
I'm in the office at the moment so no pic til tonight.

In the meantime I can try to describe it . .

The upper pipe into the coil is approx 1" copper.
At the point it turns 90 degrees to connect to the the hw cylinder there is a thinner copper pipe, approx 1/2" diameter coming off it, sticking up about 3".
At the end of this there is a screw cap which I can undo by hand.

This system was installed late 1970s/early 1980s.

EDITED TO ADD : IT LOOKS MORE A MANUAL AIR VENT (from google images)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back