Help with combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i have a Bosch worcester 28i boiler. We can not get hot water unless the heating is on? About 6 months ago the gas board did some work on the pipes outside the house, not for us generally, The problem seemed to start when they had finished the work, I though it may be because of a drop in gas pressure but they say that this would not effect the boiler. Whenever we turn on a hot water tap, the red light flashes at the front of the boiler, so we have to press that and then put the heating on to get hot water. Even than most times when the heating is on, and you turn on a hot water tap, the light flashes again, so we have to go through the whole process again. I am not a plumber or a heating engineer BTW, Can someone help please
Thank you

Sponsored Links
I think that if you want it fixed you will need to call a competent heating engineer.

Like modern car engines they are not really a simple DIY any more quite apart from the safety issues associated with working on gas.

You could try measuring the resistance of the DHW heat sensor if you have the skills and equipment.

Tony

Do any other gas appliances in your property work ok?

Does the boiler work ok on ch?

Yes all other appliances work fine and the boiler works fine on CH, just no hot water when CH if off, and reset light comes on if you turn hot water tap on when CH is off.

Sponsored Links
I think that if you want it fixed you will need to call a competent heating engineer.

You could try measuring the resistance of the DHW heat sensor if you have the skills and equipment.

Without relevant skills and test equipment I dont see how you can expect to be able to fix a technical problem with your boiler.

I appreciate that the public perception of plumbers is that they are thick and did plumbing because they were not very good at school. However boilers do need a very competent person with skills in gas, combustion, hydraulics and electronics to properly diagnose faults.

Some do try to do that with few skills and just resort to replacing parts at your cost untill they get the appliance going.

Tony

Could check the flow switch. Could be broke and not recognising the water flow through the boiler.

Agile said:

Without relevant skills and test equipment I dont see how you can expect to be able to fix a technical problem with your boiler.

I appreciate that the public perception of plumbers is that they are thick and did plumbing because they were not very good at school. However boilers do need a very competent person with skills in gas, combustion, hydraulics and electronics to properly diagnose faults.

Some do try to do that with few skills and just resort to replacing parts at your cost untill they get the appliance going.

Tony
Sorry, but I didn't expect to be able to fix it by myself, i came on the forum asking advise as to what may be the matter with the boiler. As I said in my original post, "I am not a plumber or a heating engineer". I wouldn't dream of trying to fix it myself unless it was something like a part that could be easily replaced by an unqualified person, i.e. fuse, plug, valve etc. you know what i mean. I think you may have a bit of a paranoid complex, i didn't insinuate that plumbers are thick or otherwise, I know that plumbing takes a great deal of skill and training to qualify as a trained 'corgi' fitter. I simply came on here for a bit of advise and to find out weather the change in gas pressure from the recent gas pipe replacements could have started the problem that we are having.

You clearly have a problem inside your boiler!

The gas pressure will be the same in your house because its regulated down at your gas meter.

In any case if it was a faulty gas supply the boiler would not be working on heating.

I still think you will need a competent boiler engineer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back