Help with damp & drain in old extension! Pic included...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, hello all!

We've just moved home (to return to be closer to family in Devon) and bought the best place we could afford.

Unfortunately, this late 1960's house does need more work than we noticed when we viewed, the kitchen being the most important.

We've managed to get hold of a very good deal on a kitchen and are keen to get installed having lived off sandwiches for the past 2 weeks!

Yesterday we ripped out the old kitchen and came across 2 problems...

The kitchen area extends into an old extension added to the property in the early 1970's which is single skinned.

I was hoping to add Celotex style boards to improve insulation.

We found damp at the edge where the original wall meets the extension wall. The house next door is attached (and empty) and access to the outside of this problem wall is nearly impossible due to garden divisions.

Our other issue is with a drain inspection cover in the floor. The actual cover sits approx. 150mm below the extension floor and had a wooden frame and cover installed over it. This has all got damp over the years and the wooden frame and begun to rot and therefore drop.

I'm worried that calling in a builder will mean he will condemn the whole structure and demand that we rebuild due to current building regs.

We simply don't have the money to replace the extension so are there any other options?

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips

David

Sponsored Links
I'm worried that calling in a builder will mean he will condemn the whole structure and demand that we rebuild due to current building regs.

That just wont happen. No builder can demand anything from you. But you might benefit from advice and a quote and take it from there

You can search on here for types and causes of damp, as its hard to see what's going on there

The only point I'd make is that drain looks to be open, and will be letting damp air out and under the floor if it is. It should be sealed with a proper cover or a rubber bung or something

Thanks Woody.

I'll look at getting a proper sealed cover.

Just had more of a look for the water ingress. There looks to be some lead flashing down the outer wall where the extension meets the main wall of the house and just above is the felt for the roof but the felt doesn't cover the top edge of the flashing so that's one fairly easy thing to fix.

We're going to ask permission for access to the neighbour's garden (house is empty but want to do things right) as it looks like his guttering drain grid is blocked which would also cause problems as it is right next to the extension.

David

Sponsored Links
that looks like a shed attached to the house :eek: , is there any form of damp proofing under the concrete floor . Or is it just 6 inches of concrete chucked in with a wood surround over the manhole :cry: . Sorry to be so blunt - but I`ve seen similar lash up`s when I`ve been buying our homes , similar inflated area as you - Sussex , as bad for prices as Devon : . Seriously , and hopefully helpful - can you arrange the layout so your new units are in the original house and use the "extension " as a utility room :idea: . Don`t spend £50+ on a sealed drain cover - get a tub of grease and seal the lid down with that . cover the floor with a sheet of damp proof membrane , then some cheap lock together flooring , so the appliances roll in and out without tearing it ( vinyl is c- rap ). Please feel free to post again with any probs. Pics. are always usefull too . Just stay away from the General Discussion forum ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back