Help with Flue Terminal Regulations

Sponsored Links
So now we have POC being charged with trespass please put a link to that one :LOL: As for it damaging the brickwork does the customer put a big brolly over there house when it starts to rain so it does not get wet.
The outcome of all this is going to be same as germany and to stop arguements flues will have to terminate through a roof a lot of sites are now doin g this

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys I don't want to cause argument amongst you all :oops:

Just so 100% clear!

The West facing wall of my property forms the party boundary.
My neighbour built an extension (with planning permission, although thats another story!!) which came within 1m of my property.

His flue is directly pluming on to my wall and on a windy day (therefore most days) blows past my back bedroom window.

Two issues;

1) Is my brickwork affected?

2) Does the pluming past my bedroom window pass as nuisance?

Thank you all again for your advice!!

Sorry guys I don't want to cause argument amongst you all :oops:

Just so 100% clear!

The West facing wall of my property forms the party boundary.
My neighbour built an extension (with planning permission, although thats another story!!) which came within 1m of my property.

His flue is directly pluming on to my wall and on a windy day (therefore most days) blows past my back bedroom window.

Two issues;

1) Is my brickwork affected?

2) Does the pluming past my bedroom window pass as nuisance?

Thank you all again for your advice!!
yes it is a nuisance ,,

So now we have POC being charged with trespass please put a link to that one

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000000986.html

"Q22. What is the situation where the plume from the flue of a neighbouring property is causing a nuisance?
A. Part J of the Building Regulations and the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations include requirements for the safe location of flue terminals with respect to property boundaries. Approved Document J gives guidance on what would be reasonable distances for safety. In some cases it is possible that the flue installation complies with the Building Regulations health and safety requirements but represents an unwelcome nuisance. In these circumstances the Building Regulations cannot be used to obtain redress.
Part III of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 addresses statutory nuisance and clean air. It considers whether fumes or gases emitted from premises constitute "statutory nuisances". Under the Act it is the duty of every local authority to take such steps as are reasonably practicable to investigate any complaint. If is felt that a local authority have not discharged their responsibility properly in relation to a complaint under the Environmental Protection Act, it is open to the complainant to take his/her case to the Local Government Ombudsman.
Also, under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 a person can take action if affected by fumes/gases amounting to a nuisance by bringing the circumstances of the matter direct to a Magistrates’ Court.
If it is certain that there is only one position for the boiler, a vertical extended flue may be possible. This would allow the flue products to disperse at a high level and reduce the possibility of nuisance. Note also that modern boilers are relatively small and can be fitted on internal walls, loft areas, etc with relatively small diameter extended horizontal and vertical flues, therefore other boiler positions may be possible."

Although his extension finishes 1m away from your property is that metre yours or theirs (makes a difference) how far from your window is the terminal. Nuisance is a hard thing to prove.
Brickwork wont be affected as products are water vapour and carbon dioxide with a tiny bit of other stuff so no worse than rain.

Giblets it looks good but not a single distance given and its all down to the individuals idea of nuisance

As advised previous my wall forms the party boundary so the 1m is within my neighbours property.

I would say there is less then 3m from the flue to the bedroom window.

just to confirm the distances. 600mm is the regs 2.5m which has been refered to only applies to oil condensing boilers as far as i am aware

I would ask him to fit a plume kit, depending on length it can go straight up and round the guttering like a soil and vent pipe. If he wont agree to that i would not let it drop full stop, i would complain to corgi and BC but both a useless, huh am totaly fed up with corgi at the minute they don't seem to do anything, you got to fight for your rights am afraid, more you complain they better chance you got of sorting this out

Although his extension finishes 1m away from your property is that metre yours or theirs (makes a difference) how far from your window is the terminal. Nuisance is a hard thing to prove.
Brickwork wont be affected as products are water vapour and carbon dioxide with a tiny bit of other stuff so no worse than rain.

Giblets it looks good but not a single distance given and its all down to the individuals idea of nuisance

Does water and carbon dioxide not produce Carbonic acid?

Yes, and depending where you live, rain can have other acids when there's carp like sulphur in the atmosphere (acid rain).
Even so, nothing like as strong as what I'd expect from a boiler flue. I know where a few steamers have been put very near brick walls, and I have a look from time to time for staining. Haven't seen any yet though.

Corgi grouch Yes H20 and CO2 form carbonic acid but this is when CO2 is dissolved in H20 which is a completly different reaction from when H2O and CO2 is realised from CH4 and O2 reacting during combustion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back