help with foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked around, it seems that 4 cubic meter's of concrete will cost just under £500 for readymix, or £350ish if I mix it myself.

I initially thought it would only be £250 so trying to see if there is a cheaper way to go about it.

Can anyone help to give idea's?

Trench blocks?

Sponsored Links
readymix is very economical if it can be shot straight into the trench and you have full loads.

it gets difficult once you have to move it over a distance and are seeking part loads.

we often buy bulk loads of ballast (sand 'n' gravel mixed) and mix our own concrete, as any we have left over will do the slab and fill the cavities.

we always mass fill our trench. it costs a lot more to lay block courses low down and you need a wider trench in which to work.

readymix is very economical if it can be shot straight into the trench and you have full loads.

it gets difficult once you have to move it over a distance and are seeking part loads.

we often buy bulk loads of ballast (sand 'n' gravel mixed) and mix our own concrete, as any we have left over will do the slab and fill the cavities.

we always mass fill our trench. it costs a lot more to lay block courses low down and you need a wider trench in which to work.

How much ballast will I need for say 4 m3?

Considering the distance, either I get it pumped or mix it myself (I already have a mixer)

Also as I will only be building it single skin wall (6" concrete blocks), do I need engineering bricks up to DPC or can I use the blocks there as well?

All will be rendered so shouldnt see any blocks

Thanks

we often buy bulk loads of ballast (sand 'n' gravel mixed) and mix our own concrete, as any we have left over will do the slab and fill the cavities

Nose just to get this right, are you supposed to fill the cavity below DPC with concrete ???

Sponsored Links
>> Nose just to get this right, are you supposed to fill the cavity below DPC with concrete ???[/quote]

yep, with slope to outside wall. fill up to about 225mm below DPC I think

is it okay to use blocks below DPC instead of engineering bricks, its just it will work out cheaper for me and quicker for brickie to lay

is it okay to use blocks below DPC instead of engineering bricks, its just it will work out cheaper for me and quicker for brickie to lay

yup, blocks will be ok provided they are 7n fellas or f/l rated.

lay in 3:1 mortar.

sounds good to me.

Noseall

As you seem to have a wealth of knowledge and very kind to offer advice, is it possible to lay the 6" blocks from DPC level to the 2m height in a day for a 2 and 1 gang?

I can get the blocks moved from the front of the house into the garden so they dont need to mess about moving them.

Just trying to work it out on labour costs, some said £300 for a 2 and 1 gang a day

possibly.

time wise i'm sure they would put a big dent in the job.

it is just whether the mortar will stand it. heavier blocks will buckle.

they may be able to course-up at differing locations around the job throughout the day. this will give the opportunity for the muck to firm up a bit.

140mm blocks may respond better than say 100mm, but i guess they are hollow?

possibly.

time wise i'm sure they would put a big dent in the job.

it is just whether the mortar will stand it. heavier blocks will buckle.

they may be able to course-up at differing locations around the job throughout the day. this will give the opportunity for the muck to firm up a bit.

140mm blocks may respond better than say 100mm, but i guess they are hollow?

Not hollow noseall, they are solid concrete ones.

4.2 metres of concrete off one of those lorries that mixes it there and then with no wastage and only charged for what you use cost me £383 two weeks ago . Had to barrow it round to back of house but 4 of us it only about 20/25 mins.
Far easier than mixing it yourself. Pump costs another £150 plus i was told

4.2 metres of concrete off one of those lorries that mixes it there and then with no wastage and only charged for what you use cost me £383 two weeks ago . Had to barrow it round to back of house but 4 of us it only about 20/25 mins.
Far easier than mixing it yourself. Pump costs another £150 plus i was told

Thats a good price, will cost me £300 in Balast and cement, plus god knows how many hours mixing it.

How many barrow loads was 4.2m?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back