Help with Leak - Fairly new single story extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extension was build in 2010, we bought the house in 2013. Certificate to say extension passed but no info about the builder. I have pulled up designs from council database to show the problem.

1950s semi with single story extension to the rear, pitched roof.

Small leak appeared a few months ago, slight damp patch which has started to spread. Follwing the recent heavy rain this is much more widespread and has started to drip into the kitchen. The water is showing underneath (about 2 feet lower) from where the extension joins the existing property. This is marked in red on the attached diagrams.

I have had a few roofers out, with vastly differing opinions. 1 thinks it is coming from the flat roof of the garage, dropping down and moving along a beam. £50 fix but need it to be dry to flame the felt. Put temporary material on which has made no real difference.

Second roofer thought there was no soakers underneath the tiles on the roof, stripped the top 3 tiles away and reinstalled, checked lead etc. Now thinks as this didn't work the only answer is a new roof at £2600.

My thoughts are now perhaps it is from the waste pipe or a seal around it, you can see from the images that it passes through the area that is leaking. Don't think its a leak from bathroom as it only happens when raining and never following shower, bath or flushing.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Two images, looking from the rear kitchen window into the kitchen. You can see the damp on the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
It was detailed on the plan that I have so I would hope so. We have had very heavy rain, probably worse than now previously with no leak so not sure why it would suddenly start.

Will post some pics tomorrow when light.

The light grey on the flat roof it where one roofer applied some temporary material, his plan is to flame and fix corner piece once it is dry. This may have helped one part of the damp to dry but I am not sure if there is two access points.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 173
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 178
Have any of the roofers you have had out checked the main roof for water coming down the cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back