Help with my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rectangular room above my terraced house which is 275sq ft in size and normal room height, it is in need of complete refurbishment. There is no electrical cabling anywhere, no plaster on any of the the walls, and extremely old and rotten floorboards thoughout as seen below:

www.select.talktalk.net/1.jpg

I would like it to look like this

www.select.talktalk.net/2.jpg

I got a quote from a few local builders and they are all quoting 30-60k for the job so I have decided to do it myself for less than 3k as I don't have much more than that to spare as a white collar worker. I was fortunate to see my friend's loft conversion done for an hour or so last week. All they did was stick insulating wool in between the wooden floor and wall beams in about 20 mins, then started cutting chipboard to size for the floor and plasterboard for the walls. It took them 2 days in total.

I have decided to do something similar with my house, but I need some advice e.g.

1. Can the insulating wool be of any type?
2. Should I order chipboard or hardboard and what thickness for the floor - 12.5mm or 18mm
3. Should I order plasterboard for the walls in 12.5mm or 18mm thickness?
4. I am planning to use a jigsaw to cut the wood, should I be using something a bit beefier?
5. Is there any pitfalls in electrical cabling, I was planning to order a 100m roll
6. I am planning to buy a 20 litre tub of magnolia paint from b&q for £20 - you can get silk or matt, the girl at the paint desk said silk means it is shinier? For a bedroom/tv room, what would you suggest and why?
7. I am looking for enegry saving commercial lights like they have at offices as they look cool - any recommendations as b&q only do designer lights which could not even light up a closet.

As far as the electrics go, a local electrician has offered to do it for £450. And I have sorted the wooden floor with another local for £300.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
so you have been quoted 30-60 grand and your going to do it yourself for 3 grand? :LOL: With a jig saw? :LOL: You must be joking. How much do you think a builder earns? I think you need to go back to the drawing board and have a good think about this one mate. There is alot more to it than you may think. It will cost you way more than this. There are also building regs etc you need to follow. :eek:

poncho9999 said:
I have a rectangular room above my terraced house which is 275sq ft in size and normal room height, it is in need of complete refurbishment. There is no electrical cabling anywhere, no plaster on any of the the walls, and extremely old and rotten floorboards thoughout as seen below:

www.select.talktalk.net/1.jpg

I would like it to look like this

www.select.talktalk.net/2.jpg

I got a quote from a few local builders and they are all quoting 30-60k for the job so I have decided to do it myself for less than 3k

Have you awoken from this dream yet?

a 16ft by 16ft square room, I think you could do that for a lot less than 3k, you're ripping yourself off :)
the floor is free if you look around skips of refurbished houses, those spotlights 3 for a tenner or thereabouts in homebase, plasterboard is fairly cheap, so is plaster.

I think if you are gonna do it and dont want to lose use of your right hand through over exposure to a vibrating jigsaw, you're gonna have to spend half of your budget on some quality tools off ebay, and open a trade account with your local family hardware store, as you'll be popping in there often too.

dont forget building regs, and u should be o.k.

b/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back