Help with my understanding of the regs

Sponsored Links
I'd be more worried about your drawing skills! ;)
The cable is not going to be that bothered with water ingress, enclosures maybe but the cable should be fine.

If buried in the wall <50mm deep the cable must be vertical or horizontal from an appliance (fan) or accessory (switch) or within 150mm of the ceiling or an internal corner of the walls
and the circuit must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

If in trunking (visible) you can put it where you want

lol yes i warned you it wasn't great

so it really doesn't have to be buried? i thought that above the bath like that it was zone 1 and couldn't have the cable in mini trunking there as i am not sure if poping the top off the mini trunking can be called deliberate action if someone was to say stand in the bath knock off the cower and touch the wire

Sponsored Links
If buried in the wall <50mm deep the cable must be vertical or horizontal from an appliance (fan) or accessory (switch) or within 150mm of the ceiling or an internal corner of the walls
and the circuit must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

If in trunking (visible) you can put it where you want
or have mechanical protection!

lol yes i warned you it wasn't great

so it really doesn't have to be buried? i thought that above the bath like that it was zone 1 and couldn't have the cable in mini trunking there as i am not sure if poping the top off the mini trunking can be called deliberate action if someone was to say stand in the bath knock off the cower and touch the wire
The zone requirements are for electrical equipment not the cables.
The cable could be in the bath with you and providing water does not come in contact with the live conductors, you will be safe, just to prove it have a go!

lmao buggar off :LOL: but thanks for the help have a couple more questions but no its not can i lick the incomeing live and neutral and still be ok lol

Just to point out to anyone not familiar with burying cables in walls -

The regulations often state "if the cable is buried less than 50mm" then 'so and so'.

It is very rare that it is possible to bury a cable more than 50mm deep as the Building Regulations have maximum allowable depths of one sixth horizontal and one third vertical of the thickness of the wall structure (i.e. a brick or block of 4 inches (100mm)).

so its prety much always going to have to be verticaly or horizontaly run from the equipment if burried
Pretty much so, these are the permitted safe zones, it so if you see an accessory of and item of electrical equipment, you know the likelihood is that a cable is coming from it or going to it in either a horizontal or vertical direction or even both.
Like I posted if the cable is mechanically protected there are allowances for it to stray from the permitted safe zones.

Hi i'm just starting out
Thanks mate that's brilliant just getting started out
Sorry liam but this really isn't on.

Just starting out &#8801; not having much practical experience is one thing (although pretty shabby if you're taking money from customers).

Just starting out &#8801; not having a ******* clue about the Wiring Regulations, and not being able to read and understand them for yourself is completely unacceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back