Help with Oven and Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. Am just replacing kitchen and have removed old oven and hob. They were running from a dual 13amp socket and have an isolation switch above the work surface. I have the new hob which is ceramic and oven (both AEG) and am wondering if is safe to just put a plug on the end of them and plug them in.

I have 6mm cable which I read from the installaion manual running at 15-27amps so can't get my head round how this can run with a 13amp plug on the end.

Was this incorrect before? Help!

Sponsored Links
Are the oven and hob separate (individually wired)?

What are the ratings for each? Its unlikely that you can put plugs on them and plug them into the wall (its bad practice regardless of whether its possible)

Where has the 6mm cable come from? You can't fit 6mm cable to a 13a plug, it just won't fit (and it would be totally overkill since the plug is fused at 13a anyway)

Best idea is to run 2 new radials from the consumer unit to the kitchen and wire the hob and oven into those. If you give us some more info we might be able to offer more help.

Davy

Sorry to hijack but i have just pulled my electric cooker out too and noticed the is only one radial from consumer unit which is then split from the isolator switch by a 30amp junction box to feed both oven and hob is this right?

RK. Best to start a new thread.

It depends on the load in both these queries.

Sponsored Links
vern190374 said:
I have the new hob which is ceramic and oven (both AEG) and am wondering if is safe to just put a plug on the end of them and plug them in.

No.

A ceramc hob cannot be supplied from a plug and socket. It needs to be wired into the cooker outlet. If you do not already have one you wiull have to have a cooker circuit installed (typically 32A unless you have a big kitchen and may later want one of those huge range cookers with fiver burners and three ovens).

Some ovens can be plugged in, if they are single ovens they typically use only about 10Amps. You will have to check the power rating. If there is a possibility that you may later want a double oven you will need another cooker circuit, and it is better to have both installed at the same time.

Gas hobs and oven use very little electricity and can be plugged in to operate the timer and ignition. Gas hobs are also "better" than electric ones.

Not sure of the rating of the hob and doesn't arrive till Wednes(!) but the oven which has arrived recommends the 6mm 15-20amp cable. Just looking for the manual for the power rating....

ricky_k said:
Sorry to hijack but i have just pulled my electric cooker out too and noticed the is only one radial from consumer unit which is then split from the isolator switch by a 30amp junction box to feed both oven and hob is this right?

Start your own thread.

Can't find the power rating anywhere! Does say needs 45amp fuse and connection to cooker control unit though. So I guess the next question is what will I need to install to get these appliances working. Is it likely to need a whole new cable from the ringmain or can the isolation switch and 13amp double socket be utilised?

vern190374 said:
Can't find the power rating anywhere! Does say needs 45amp fuse and connection to cooker control unit though. So I guess the next question is what will I need to install to get these appliances working. Is it likely to need a whole new cable from the ringmain or can the isolation switch and 13amp double socket be utilised?

No. You don't need a new cable from the ring main, you need at least one new cable directly from the consumer unit.

What cooker is it? The rating is probably stated online somewhere.

vern190374 said:
...Does say needs 45amp fuse and connection to cooker control unit though...

Wow that's a lot! Is it a resaturant kitchen?

You would need a new cooker circuit. Any existing circuit is likely to have been installed for a 32A load in the UK. Although there is a possibility someone is adding the hob and the oven together onto one enormous circuit rather than two separate ones (which is much better).

Keep looking for the ratings.

Perhaps you can find the spec on the maker's website.

Tried looking. The instruction manuals do not say. How difficult can this be!

NOpe the oven manual just says "designed to be connected to a 230-240v (50hz) supply.

The hob says" Ho5VVF or H05VVH2-F, 230-240v mains, cable 3-4 supply voltage 230-240 or 400v 2N 4x2.5 cable, 230V."

Means little to me.

All plates on full = 6000w

I've had a look too:

For the oven it only states: min fuse: 15A max. fuse: 20A
For the hob it states 6.4kW.

Could you check the back of the oven? The rating should be on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back