Help with removing square drive from window lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up until yesterday I had a stuck upvc window.

A bit of brute force has freed the mechanism but it's badly rusted and needs replacing. I had to drill the screws off the handle as they had seized into the lock body but now I can't seem to budge the square drive. It just won't pull out of the mechanism which means I can't remove the lock.

Anyone got any suggestions how to get it out? I've soaked it in loads of wd40 and tried hitting it with a hammer to shock it free but with no success.

Sponsored Links
Not much to photograph. Just a square rod sticking out of a window.

The mechanism itself is now free so the window opens freely.

a photo of the mechanism might enable someone to identify it.

Sponsored Links
Its a standard inline Espagnolotte lock. You can't see the actual lock because its buried in the window.

The handle turns a square rod section which fits into a square drive in the lock mechanism. That square rod should just pull out (and indeed does on the other windows i have with the same lock mechanism) but won't on this window. I suspect its because the rod and lock are rusted and have corroded together.

I was able to free another one up by tapping it with a hammer to shock it free. But this one i just can't budge and i can't remove the lock to replace it with a new one without removing the square drive.

Tried a blowlamp? then cool rapidly with a wet cloth.
Mind those windows.

Probably not the best option with UPVC windows :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back