help with stairs..please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all...

we currently are renovating our entire house and the next area is the hall stairs and landing. The floors and stairs are all currently bear i.e floorboards. We want to carpet the stairs and landing but have tiles in the hallway.
My question is do we need to lay the tiles 1st or the carpet 1st? Which order do we do it in so as the join looks right at the bottom step between carpet and tiles? Please help if you can so we dont do anything wrong!! Thanks in advance...Fern

Sponsored Links
I would say carpet first, then tiles as you would want to have the carpet as flush to the floor as you can and then butt the tiles up against it. The thickness of the tile would then cover any raggy cuts at the end of the carpet

tiles then carpet. Its hard to get a good cut with tiles up to carpet. let alone the adhesive and grout mess.

Sponsored Links
mattysupra said:
tiles then carpet. Its hard to get a good cut with tiles up to carpet. let alone the adhesive and grout mess.

I'll second that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back