Help with Wall Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please can someone give me some guidance with the following (I've done some basic electrical stuff before - replaced ceiling crowns/light switches etc) but nothing too major.

I've purchased two IKEA wall light fittings...

(these ones - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00021272 )

...which have plugs on them and only twin-core cable, e.g. there's no earth and the live/neutral go straight into what looks like a fairly standard lightbulb socket connected to a metal wall-mounting (isolated though).

The existing fittings which came down were wired in to the main lighting circuit and were earthed.

My questions are:-

1) Do I need to use the earth cable coming from the wall on the IKEA lights (e.g. on the metal bracket) or should I blank it off.

and if not...

2) Am I ok to cut the plug and cable off the IKEA light fittings and just join the live and neutral into the correct spots on the connector blocks (assuming that I insulate them well)?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can cut off the plugs and wire the live/neutral into the existing wiring. Double check first that the light fittings display the square-inside-a-square motif that shows the fitting to be double insulated. Terminate the earth from the wiring so there's no bare copper hanging around.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back