Help with waxed floorboards turning 'yellow'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In our dining room we have what I presume are pine floorboards. We sanded them back so they looked fantastic, and they were really quite a pale colour.

We decided to use http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=55 hoping that it would give good protection but leaving the floorboards natural looking, similar to what they did.

Unfortunately after the first 2 coats, it has made the wood look 'yellow'.

Is there anything we can do to alter this colour without having to re-sand the floor?

On the link above I notice that Ronseal do other colours to the natural which we used. Is it possible to add extra coats of a different colour as it's the same product?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
bare wood, specially pine and oak, has a pale colour. A natural finish will 'colour' the boards - and over time oak will turn honey colour while pine can even turn orange: their 'natural' appearance!

The 'colouring' effect has already taken place, adding another stain to it won't make it pale again.

Sanding and applying a grey-ish/white colour could make the boards more paler, but they still will 'mature' overtime. That's natural wood for you.

Sorry I should have said that I realise the pale colour won't come back by applying another stain, but I want to get rid of the yellow look.

Was wondering if the natural oak colour on the ronseal site linked, would change the colour if applied next? Or if there is anything else that can be applied to change the colour?

On pine-boards we normally recommend the colour 'Golden Oak' - a more warmer colour than the 'mature' honey colour Oak natural turns into.
Natural on pine makes it yellow indeed, with a large change to end up Orange over time.

Applying another coat with a somewhat darker colour might do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

As I've already applied this floor wax, can I only apply other colours of floor wax? Or can I varnish over the top?

Thanks again.

You can NEVER varnish over a waxed/oiled floor!

So another wax colour it should be

Thanks for the help so far.

Well it looks like we will be re-sanding the floorboards and probably applying a clear varnish.

We've sanded a test area and applied ronseal diamond hard clear varnish. The varnish has made the wood slightly more yellow, but it's a lot paler than the existing wax we used.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend applying to sanded floorboards? Basically all we want is something that will protect the wood, but appear as invisible as possible.

I have read about something called Bonakemi traffic, that claims to be invisible. Has anyone used this before?

Thanks

as long as you realise that pine will loose its new colour quite quickly and will mellow to an antique pine colour[without the orangy yellow :D ;) ] any finnish will effect the actual visible surface colour as it effects the way the light hits the wood and reflects back

a good way to get an idea of what difference clear coating will make is to moisten with spit [an old carpenters trick ;) ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back