Help with whirlpool bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am hoping someone may be able to assist.
I have a new whirlpool bath with a 1 hp IP55 motor fitted and a small length of 3 core cable coming out of it. A 25 amp 30 ma RCCB has been supplied. I was informed that the bath would run from a fused spur taken from the main ring. Where does the RCCB fit in to the circuit ( between the motor and the fused spur and outside of the bathroom ?).

Sponsored Links
Whats the power of the bath? look for KW or does it say how many amps it takes?

(somebody smarter than me is going to work this out from the HP cos its probably possible!)
:LOL:

what is the csa of the cable thats fitted? 2.5mm, 4mm?

if you can tell us what make the bath is or even better provide a link to the items webpage then we may be able to tell you more.

does the manual suggest a protection rating? the device you have (rccb) seems a bit oddball. is it supplyed/recommended by the manufacturer?

have you got a manual?

do you have rcd protection of the ring already?

am afraid we need more info...... you didnt buy this from someone down the pub did you? :lol

[/b]

Bath mfrs do this all the time.

It does not matter that the RCD unit is overrated current-wise.

You need the instructions, but from my past experience, these motors are wired into a ring (or disused imm htr or shower circuit, as long as you fuse down at the board) via an RCD.

If the circuit you are connecting to already has RCD protection, then you can dispense with the RCD you've got.

If not, I would dispense with it anyway, but replace it with an RCD fused spur, sited outside the zones. Use a waterproof enclosure to join the motor flex to the cable back to the RCD spur.

Don't forget this is reportable work, and you'll need to make sure your main equipotential and supplementary bonding are up to the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back