Help with wired alarm design in a new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new house built at present and the builder will run in the wiring for my alarm, sensors and bell box if I give him the details.

I'm confident enough to fit a wired alarm but have no idea what type to buy and more importantly where I need to site the PIR's and door sensors.

It's a 4 Bed detached two storey with a small study, kitchen, dining room and large lounge downstairs. There is a good sized storage under the stairs which would suffice for siting the alarm.

Any hints or useful sites where I can glean more info is appreciated.

Last time I fitted an alarm it was a Scantronic wireless which worked well but I'd rather use wired particularly if I have the chance to pre-wire the house.

Sponsored Links
Hi Redbrickman.

Fit PIRs in all the ground floor rooms that have a window, position them so they are not looking at the window & not above doors or radiators.

At the main entrance fit a door contact & maybe a PIR depending if there are windows. You may also want to fit a contact on the rear door.

If you have a garage, Fit a dual tech detector in there.

The cupboard under the stairs sounds good, but you could have remote keypads fitted next to the main entrance door, rear door & maybe upstairs landing ?.

On the landing you may want to fit a PIR, just to cover the bedroom doors.

The external bell should be fitted on the front elevation, also you may wish to have an internal siren/speaker near to the front door.

I think that just about covers it, don't forget you will need a spur fitted next to the panel.

Cheers Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back