Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new (to us) house a couple of years ago. It's a 1907 edwardian 4 bed semi with a 1.5 metre or so crawl space (cellar) under the ground floor.

Before buying, we had a full structural survey. I requested the surveyor pay attention to the fact that the floor in the dining room rolled down towards the dividing wall with the kitchen. Floor joists run front to back, parallel to the wall. Survey was all clear and surveyor stated that it was old movement and nothing to worry about.

Yesterday i noticed a small crack appeared to have grown slightly in the dividing wall. When i went into the kitchen it was in line with what at first glance looks like an oak beam but I reckon is a decorated RSJ. I think a previous owner has taken down an internal supporting wall (to make for a bigger kitchen) and replaced it with a steel, fixed between the outside wall and the middle of the internal wall dividing the kitchen and dining room.

Inspecting the joists from under the house, my worst fears have been proven. There is no support under that dividing wall. The 6x2 joist directly under that wall has dropped about half an inch compared to its neighbours. There is a supporting wall in the cellar directly below the line of the RSJ, reinforcing nothing but my fear that a load bearing wall has been removed without first checking if the dividing wall was a load bearer... which it isn't!

So, I have a few questions for the building fraternity here...

1- how do I stop my house falling down? I have thought of acrow props in the cellar until a permanent support can be found.

2- What recourse do I have with the Surveyor?

3- Will buildings insurance cover remedial work?

I didn't sleep well last night.

Thanks in advance for any /all advice that you guys may have.

Regards,
Alun

Sponsored Links
I would immediately contact the surveyor and get their opinion. If it sounds suspicious, contact a second one for an opinion.

Then contact your insurer and see what they say - maybe they will pay for remedial work and then try to claim against the surveyor?

Maybe it wont be so bad, and if this wall can be supported from below it can be done, and then just repairs. But I guess it needs a structural engineer or surveyor to tell you that part!

I wouldn't prop anything up until someone qualified has at least looked.....

Thanks Phatboy!

I wasn't going to jack it up, just wanted to put something to stop more downward movement. But I suppose a few days won't hurt... At least, I hope not.

Would the surveyor have insurance for this type of thing? I don't want to bankrupt someone, but equally, this is what I paid him to check.

I will update this thread with the outcome but other opinions are very welcome.

Thanks again
Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back