Helping flatten old stone walls for platerer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are in the process of renevating an old farm, which has considerable damp.

We are going to use Izonil screed and waterproof plater on the walls, and will try and do as much as possible ourselves.

I have removed all the old plaster from the walls, and am beginning to work on them to flatten and remove all loose bits.

The Izonil tech support man sais it would be done in 3 x 10mm coats, so I'm going to try and get the walls ready to allow this. At the moment we have stone sitting proud and recesses that are a lot more than 30mm.

What should I do? I assume fill the recesses with 4:1 sand / cemet; -but what next to bring it all up a bit?

Cheers for any help

GC

Sponsored Links
Hi all
I have removed all the old plaster from the walls, and am beginning to work on them to flatten and remove all loose bits.
I advise you don’t let your local Building Control Inspector find out you’ve done that! External walls are a thermal element & if you remove more than 24% of the plaster on these walls, you will fall foul of Part L of the Building Regulations which will require the insulation of these walls be brought up to meet current thermal insulation standards!

The preparation & treatment & of solid stone walls prior to plastering is not something I have a great deal of experience with so I’ll leave that to others; standard plaster finishes will not tollerate any hint of damp though. I’ve dry lined a few single skin walls with Duplex (foil backed) PB over timber battens, using a high efficiency thermal insulation barrier behind that to bring up the thermal value & then finish skimmed over that.

Crikey, I didn't know that! :oops:
What's the modern take on the thermal capacity of the walls? Maybe Iought to think of getting them up to spec anyway; the farms on the edge of a moor and can get bl**dy cold.
We were going to use the Izonil plaster / screed to seal the ground floor and it's meant to be a thermal barrier as well as moisture; -so I guess we could then board on top of this barrier to bring the thermal element up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
The latest Building Regs. can be found here:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115313971412.html

Part L is the one I was referring which, from memory, has listings for the latest thermal requirements (I can't check as I am currently restricted to a dial up connection here in Spain). Many think you have to pay for copies of the BR's & there are companies that will gladly relieve you of 20 quid for them on CD but, assuming you have a broad band connection, you can just download them for free.

You may also find the other BR's useful if your doing major renovation work but my advice would always be to check/ask first (on here if you like) as the days when you could do what you want to your own property are long gone. There are just so many rules & so much beurocracy involved now it's easy to make a mistake that could land you in trouble & more expense than you bargained for.

Your old farm house isn't listed I hope!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back